Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Her Mother's Words (K, one-shot)

+2
ForensicMama
DBCrazy
6 posters

Go down

Her Mother's Words (K, one-shot) Empty Her Mother's Words (K, one-shot)

Post by DBCrazy Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:41 pm

AN: I had an idea today and so I decided to try my hand at writing my first fanfic. I have no idea where this came from because it has nothing to do with my original idea, but here it is ...

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I hear my mother telling me "The eyes are the windows to the soul, Tempe." All because I'd taken a liking to a boy she didn't feel she could trust. She had been so right about him, and I marveled at her knowing, but I never saw what it was that she had seen.

And yet this proverb of hers echoes in me. Bothering me!

Windows to the soul ... pfff! What soul? The morality? The essence? That which survives death?

What - soul? Now we're talking God and heaven and hell! Aahh! When you're dead, you're dead, there is nothing which survives. So if there is no soul, then by extension there need not be a God, nor a heaven, nor a hell. Period.

So why has this memory made itself recurrent with me?

"The eyes are the windows to the soul, Tempe." ... windows to the soul ... the eyes ... the eyes are the windows.

"Bones, what do you think?"

As I shift my focus back to him, not 60 cm in front of me, I see a hint of my answer.

It's him. It's his eyes. They haunt me when he's there in the flesh, and they haunt me when he's only in my mind.

Those eyes. Those dark eyes of his.

Since I was a child people have complimented me on my "pretty blue eyes", but his ... oohh. I admit, in the beginning they were merely a wealth of frustration to me. Then later they became a pleasant diversion for my own eyes. But just recently, when he looks at me ... I hear my mother echoing this adage, ever so faintly. So faintly, in fact, that I have to take notice and listen, actually try to hear, as if this time she will impart something new for me. Something to help me interpret this oracular utterance.

"Bones? Bones."

"Earth to Dr. Brennan. Hel-lo. Bones!"

Now he's snapping his fingers. Waving his hand in front of my face. Tapping my shoulder!

"What, Booth!" I bark at him for snatching me from my reverie so impatiently!

Instinctively he jerks back like he wants to steer clear of The Bitch! Then he swoops right back in to make sure that I'm okay. That I haven't been injured, or I'm not needlessly upset.

And there they are ... Cautious. Concerned. Considerate.

And right on cue, are my mother's words ...

Then I recall something he told me just last week after one of our heart to hearts. He said "You heard me but you just didn't understand me!"

He's right! I don't understand. I rarely do when he starts with the mushy stuff. It sounds wonderful. But it's just mush. Nothing cold and hard enough to stand on. I can't think that way. Thinking that way is just ... quicksand. I have to stand up when I think, figuratively of course, not sink down.

And just like that I realize that I'm not understanding her either. I mean, I know I don't understand her, but what I realize is that I'm not understanding her intention.

He's about to walk away, probably giving up on talking to me now, ... and I get it. Maybe not all of it, but a big enough piece. When she had told me these words as a teenager she was issuing them as a warning to stay away.

But now ... they're different now. Same words, same exact words. But they're different.

Now these same words ... beckon me ... call me ...

... To him.

Last edited by DBCrazy on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:05 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : rating)
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Her Mother's Words (K, one-shot) Empty Re: Her Mother's Words (K, one-shot)

Post by ForensicMama Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:29 am

Oh wow I really loved it! Beautiful! Smile
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4649
Say What You Want : MAMA: STONE-COLD SHIPPER.
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://www.bonesspoilers.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by missdebra87 Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:08 pm

I really enjoyed it. Great job.
missdebra87
missdebra87
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 16433
Say What You Want : Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, Teacher Certification, Departmental Recognition, Magna Cum Laude
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks Mama and MissDebra for reading, and for your kind words.

Very Happy
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by bcriet Tue May 05, 2009 1:59 pm

What a beautiful story DBCrazy.
bcriet
bcriet
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 197
Say What You Want : \"It is far better to regret doing something, than to regret not doing something\".
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Tue May 05, 2009 3:21 pm

bcriet, thank you! for reading and for your kind words. Wink

What is your name stand for/mean? When I see it I think of a play on words of Be Quiet, but instead it's a making noise crying version - Be Cry It. :?:
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shakari Wed May 06, 2009 12:05 am

Great job! I loved it!
Shakari
Shakari
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1117
Say What You Want : Jesus is NOT a zombie!

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Wed May 06, 2009 2:30 am

Thank you, Shakari! I'm so glad.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by BonesInOz Wed May 06, 2009 10:06 am

That was really nice DB.
BonesInOz
BonesInOz
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 170
Say What You Want : What happens between us, that should just be ours.
Registration date : 2008-11-28

http://bonesundercover.podbean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bcriet Wed May 06, 2009 2:24 pm

DBCrazy wrote:bcriet, thank you! for reading and for your kind words. Wink

What is your name stand for/mean? When I see it I think of a play on words of Be Quiet, but instead it's a making noise crying version - Be Cry It. :?:

LOL you made me smile......b is my first name and c is my middle name and riet is the first part of my last name. I haven't had anyone ever ask me that before lol.

I love you Brianne
bcriet
bcriet
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Say What You Want : \"It is far better to regret doing something, than to regret not doing something\".

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Thu May 07, 2009 12:14 am

bcriet wrote:

LOL you made me smile......b is my first name and c is my middle name and riet is the first part of my last name. I haven't had anyone ever ask me that before lol.

I love you Brianne
Now I feel rather silly. Embarassed I guess I do make things a little more difficult than they really ought to be! Suspect LOL!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Thu May 07, 2009 12:16 am

Thanks for reading BonesInOz. I'm glad you liked it!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by bcriet Thu May 07, 2009 6:36 am

DBCrazy wrote:
bcriet wrote:

I love you Brianne
Now I feel rather silly. Embarassed I guess I do make things a little more difficult than they really ought to be! Suspect LOL!

LOL same here, same here I'm always being told things are much more simpler than I make them out to be....some names are rather hard to make out...I really like yours though. Laughing
bcriet
bcriet
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down