Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So Close. K. Not actually sure of the genre.

3 posters

Go down

So Close. K. Not actually sure of the genre. Empty So Close. K. Not actually sure of the genre.

Post by kiki Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:44 am

Ugh, ok, so I'm assuming this was written because I'm so bored and frustrated at college. That's my only explanation. Lyrics are from "So Close" (sung by Jon McLaughlin) from the film Enchanted...mmm...Patrick Dempsey...yummers...I digress.

Booth felt like he had swallowed a golf ball. No, scratch that, a football. Here he was at the annual Jeffersonian dinner, the one time a year when donors got to rub shoulders and other body parts with members of his squint team. All in the name of research. Of course.

This is what he had to keep muttering to himself as he watched one donor after another smarm up to his Bones. Research. That’s why she was putting up with their advances. Research. Then, suddenly, she had carved a path across the room and asked him point-blank to dance with her. It wasn’t like he had any intention of refusing.

You’re in my arms

His hands were on her waist while her arms were looped around his neck. Brennan had shot him an appreciative smile as they had taken their positions on the dance floor but hadn’t made eye contact with him since. He was silently struggling to make his throat constrict and swallow while also willing his cheeks not to blush. He’d danced with her before. This just felt different. More intimate somehow. His entire being was focused on her alone. She was all that mattered at this moment. With this realisation, the tension in his shoulders dissipated.

And all the world is calm

The soft lighting gave her skin an almost ethereal glow. He could smell her perfume and shampoo; the two scents mingling and sending jitters right down to his toes. She tugged at her bottom lip gently with her teeth. Then she lifted her eyes to his with a slightly bashful smile and his world shrank.

The music playing on for only two

Booth quirked his lips back in response. Their eyes remained locked together as they weaved effortlessly through other couples. His hand shifted on her waist, more from restlessness than nerves. He could feel the muscles of her legs and torso tense and contract with her movement. Her breath tickled his neck. Her breasts grazed his chest. He closed his eyes briefly.

So close together

A tendon in his right arm appeared to jerk unconsciously as he tightened his grip on her slender waist. She lowered her eyes and smiled to herself. He cleared his throat briefly as he dipped his face down, nearer to hers. She sighed quietly and positioned her hands more securely around his neck. He could feel his pulse booming in his ears.

And when I’m with you

Her fingers skimmed the back of his neck and it took all of his restraint not to growl appreciatively. His lips glanced off a couple of strands of her hair. He felt his face twitch in response. She stepped closer to him, her hips nestling into his stomach.

So close to feeling alive

Brennan glanced around the room. She was surrounded by colleagues, peers. It seemed like a lifetime ago that she had attended this dinner for the first time. Her eyes met Cam’s briefly and she dipped her head in acknowledgement. So much had changed in the intervening years.

A life goes by

She had arrived alone at the first dinner and had sat by herself all night, refusing any offers to dance. The following morning Goodman had informed her in no uncertain terms that such behaviour was unacceptable; she needed to make an effort. The next year she had brought a date. Someone else accompanied her the following year. Someone different the year after that. She couldn’t remember their names now. But for one night they had seemed significant.

Romantic dreams will stop

The next year she hadn’t bothered procuring a date. The whole idea felt like a farce. She had considered bringing Sully, but that ship had sailed long before the invitation became an option. She had felt annoyed with herself for even considering it. Being alone was easier.

So I bid mine goodbye and never knew

Angela had teased her for the last three years about having a ready-made date, just waiting to be asked. Her smug smiles left Brennan in no doubt who she was referring to. But she never asked him. And yet, with Booth’s strong arms gently anchoring her to him, his smell flooding her senses, and his face inches from her own, she couldn’t help wondering to herself if perhaps Angela had been on to something.

So close was waiting, waiting here with you

She closed her eyes for a moment, willing herself not to overanalyse the situation for once. Booth’s bottom lip brushed her forehead accidentally and the air left her lungs in one painful gust. He mumbled an apology and she murmured something neutral. It was only then she realised her hands were trembling.

And now forever I know

He stiffened briefly and she felt her heart flip. Then his mouth met her forehead in a deliberate kiss. Brennan closed her eyes as confusing sensations flooded through her. She hesitantly trailed her fingertips over the nape of his neck to show him that she appreciated what he was saying. His lips remained fastened to her skin for a full ten seconds. She felt bereft when he gently lifted his head away from her again.

All that I wanted to hold you

Brennan slipped her hands down to his shoulders and squeezed gently. They seemed to fuse together more tightly, their bodies melding perfectly. One of his hands stroked the small of her back. Her mouth shivered off the side of his neck as the last bar of music played and she felt the shudder that shot down his spine.

So close

He cleared his throat and stepped away from her, keeping one hand on her lower back. In unspoken agreement the two left the crowded hall for the refreshing coolness of the night outside. Her hip knocked gently against his as she moved. For all the world they looked like a couple desperate for some time alone.

So close to reaching that famous happy end

They came to a stop at the marble balcony overlooking the grounds. Brennan leant her arms against the cold surface as she studied the eerie shadows below her. Booth settled beside her with a grunt, his elbow playfully nudging hers.

Almost believing this was not pretend

She glanced at him with a smile. He answered her with a wink. A gurgle of laughter bubbled from her throat as she shook her head. He flicked his eyebrows suggestively at her the next time she caught his eye. She responded with a playful shove, which only made him chuckle.

And now you’re beside me and look how far we’ve come

His fingers tapped lightly on the stone. She stared at them for a moment before focusing on the glint of light bouncing off her ring. She was just raising her finger slightly to better observe the sparkling jewel when his hand covered hers. Their eyes caught and twin timid smiles fluttered at their mouths.

So far we are so close

Brennan wasn’t sure exactly when it was she had come to depend upon him so much. He was her friend, her sounding board, at times her conscience, her teacher, her pupil, and oftentimes her fantasy. She was uncomfortable with this situation, but she knew it was nothing compared to the loss she’d feel if he were to leave.

How could I face the faceless days

His body was doused with fear as he studied the woman beside him. She meant so much to him. She was his guiding force and the focus of so many of his days. Had she any idea? Did she have any inkling of how desperately he craved her? How she would destroy him if she left?

If I should lose you now?

Booth took a deep breath to steady his nerves; he felt decidedly light-headed. Beside him he heard Brennan do the same. Her free hand moved to trail her nails up and down the length of his fingers. He let out a snort. Her eyes darted to his with a giggle.

We’re so close

After a moment or two the movement of her nails stilled. She suddenly darted her hand down to her side, her cheeks flushing. He glanced quickly at her, his eyes creasing with concern. Her lips were pursed together and her eyes examined the shrubbery once more. He sighed heavily.

To reaching that famous happy end

The hand covering hers suddenly grasped her cool fingers. She turned a startled gaze to him as he raised both her hand and his to his face. Booth held them there for a moment, hovering, before gently kissing her knuckles. His eyes remained transfixed on hers as he watched her gaze become increasingly glassy. Brennan’s head dipped slightly and he heard a rattling noise at the back of her throat. However, she tipped her gaze back to his momentarily with a lopsided smile.

And almost believing this was not pretend

He gently released her hand and moved his arm to wrap around her waist. Her head settled against his shoulder with a tiny sigh. His body felt tense, nervous because of his erratic heartbeat. Her chest rose and fell unsteadily. Neither moved an inch, basking in the pretence of their close embrace.

Let’s go on dreaming for we know we are

Brennan’s hand reached up, the back of her fingers pressing against his chest in a gesture of appreciation. The base of his spine tingled uncontrollably. Booth’s fingers traced looping figures against the curve of her hip. Her eyes closed in pleasure.

So close

She felt the warm flicker of his breath against her face and realised he was turning in to her for a hug. Her arms clung to his back as his warmth enveloped her. She wasn’t sure when she had started smiling but her cheeks were beginning to hurt. She shut her eyes tighter and held him closer. His fingers trailed up and down her back, his jaw was both warm and scratchy against her cheekbone. Brennan sighed contentedly as he gently began to sway.

So close

They embraced for a few minutes more. Brennan’s forehead dropped to lean against Booth’s chest. The gentle breeze occasionally swept tendrils of her hair up to caress Booth’s face. His arms felt locked; he never wanted to let her go.

Presently, she lifted her head and without speaking a word the two stepped apart. They resumed their positions at the balcony. Booth caught sight of a star in the inky sky and pointed it out to his partner, jostling her hip slightly to get her attention. She laughed throatily at his suggestion to make a wish.

They shared a brief smile before shifting their gazes away; Brennan explored the grounds while Booth pitched his eyes towards the heavens. Their racing thoughts kept them preoccupied but silent. Together, but miles apart.

And still so far
kiki
kiki
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2352
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

So Close. K. Not actually sure of the genre. Empty Re: So Close. K. Not actually sure of the genre.

Post by flyersfan35 Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:53 am

Aw....kiki, that was so sweet! And I loved the song, too...*sigh* Another beautifully written story.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Number of posts : 68808
Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

Closing time - time for you to go back to the places you will be from.
Closing time - this room won't be open 'til your brothers or your sisters come.
So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.
Closing time - every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

So Close. K. Not actually sure of the genre. Empty Re: So Close. K. Not actually sure of the genre.

Post by ToZiKa Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:52 pm

that was really nice
love the way you write

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum