Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SAG Actors to guild: 'Stop the infighting'

:: News

Go down

SAG      Actors to guild: 'Stop the infighting' Empty SAG Actors to guild: 'Stop the infighting'

Post by suzyquzy Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:40 am

Awards NewsSAG celebration and concern
Actors to guild: 'Stop the infighting'
By CYNTHIA LITTLETON
show
01/25/2009

SAG celebration and concern
Actors to guild: 'Stop the infighting'
01/25/2009

More News >Stop the infighting, get everyone on the same page and let's get a new contract already -- that was the message sent to SAG leaders by actors working the red carpet and backstage at the SAG Awards on Sunday.
"There's concern that our union has dissolved into a state of so much infighting," said "Dexter" co-star Julie Benz, who was nommed for drama series ensemble. "It's like a teacher losing control of the class. We've been let down by our leaders. I'm not going to point fingers ... but it does feel like we are in a bit of a crisis right now."

Before the kudos began, many thesps were remarkably forthcoming during the red carpet preamble on their feelings about the state of the guild, the fate of the prolonged contract negotiations with the majors and the infighting among hardline and moderate board members that has made headlines in recent weeks. Actors were not shy about addressing the elephant in the Screen Actors Guild's boardroom, even in a setting that is usually devoted to questions no more probing than "What are you wearing" and "How excited are you to be nominated."

A few suggested that SAG needs to seriously think about merging with rival AFTRA to gain maximum leverage in representing thesps in a changing showbiz landscape. But no one suggested a draconian solution of splitting up SAG or that high-earning thesps would leave it altogether, as some in the biz have feared.

Nonetheless, the sheer diversity of opinions shared on the red carpet highlights the difficulty of achieving anything like consensus in this particular guild.

During the telecast itself, there was nary a mention of the strike threat or the civil war raging within SAG. "30 Rock" hyphenate Tina Fey made only an oblique reference to the major sticking point in the negotiations, compensation for new media, in accepting her trophy for femme lead in a comedy series. She quipped that her daughter will someday watch "30 Rock" segs on the Internet and ask " 'What do you mean you don't get residuals for this?' "

Backstage, Fey didn't elaborate much beyond stressing that "it needs to be figured out," but she indicated her support for the guild. "We'll do whatever our union needs us to do," she said.

A number of actors expressed frustration at the conflicting information coming out of the various SAG factions, especially among those who admitted that they were not up to speed on the wonky details of Web streaming residuals and such.

"I'm concerned that we're not on the same page. We get a lot of conflicting reports on so many different things," said Peter Jacobson of "House." "I think we have to get our house in order."

But others said the debate, rancorous as it is, is healthy for such a large organization.

"Actors -- we're theatrical people," said Mindy Kaling of "The Office." "I've always been a union girl -- I was out there picketing (during the WGA strike). I'm very split on all this in SAG. I'm glad there's been this passionate debate about it. I hope we can reach an agreement on this" without resorting to a strike, she said.

"Mad Men" trouper Rich Sommer offered a strong opinion about SAG leaders being out of step with the working membership.

"I'm concerned about those who would say a dissenting voice is a disloyal member. It seems to me that the majority (of SAG members) do not want a strike," he said. "To call that disloyal when the majority are saying we don't want a strike seems wrong to me. If the majority does not want a strike that should be the stance of our union."

Kate Flannery, another "Office" co-star, opined that it's time for SAG and AFTRA to merge as one to give actors maximum leverage in a changing biz.

"I think we need to make serious changes, and that includes the other union, AFTRA," Flannery said, noting that so many thesps are members of both unions (44,000 of AFTRA's 70,000 members are dual members of SAG). "We need to get on the same page. The (economic) climate in this world has changed since (SAG) started this negotiation. We have to take that into account, and we have to be responsible."

"30 Rock" co-star Judah Friedlander, on the other hand, voiced support for the push for a strike authorization vote led by SAG prexy Alan Rosenberg and SAG national exec director Doug Allen.

"Actors have to get a better contract. Now," he said. "I just feel like it's too bad it's all happening now (as the economy suffers). I think it's good that people are talking about it publicly. We've got to figure something out."

Many thesps expressed frustration at the level of internal strife in the guild, and concern that those fights were taking up time and energy that should be devoted to reaching a settlement with the majors on a pact covering film and TV work.

"I'm praying that we don't have a strike," said Taraji P. Henson ("The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"). "I think everybody needs to sit down, come together and work it out. We have to come to a middle ground. We really can't afford a strike right now."

William Shatner ("Boston Legal") was unequivocal in stating that any talk of a strike was a bad idea.

"A strike would be a mistake in view of the practicality of the situation we face," he said.

Holly Hunter, nommed for TNT's "Saving Grace," was 180 degrees removed from Shatner's view.

"I believe in the leadership of SAG," said Hunter. "No one wants a strike but the union must have the ability to strike. If you take that away you weaken the foundation of the union. The strength of the union is the solidarity" of its membership, she said.

JoBeth Williams, a former SAG board member who has long been active in guild affairs and a supporter of Rosenberg, said she believed the next two weeks would bring positive movement toward bridging the divisions within the guild that would help end the contract stalemate that has endured since the last pact expired on June 30.

"We're going to have to unify ourselves," she said. "We can't isolate any one section of the guild. We represent a wide range of people and a wide range of jobs. Doug and Alan are making an effort to reach out to (board moderates). We have nowhere to go but there. I think in the next two weeks you will see things begin to happen."

In the backstage quip room, none of the winners volunteered their thoughts on the state of the guild but they didn't duck the question when it was asked. "Mad Men" star Jon Hamm jokingly tried to get the 7-year-old who plays his son on the show, Aaron Hart, to field the question when that show's ensemble was backstage beaming about their win for drama series ensemble.

"It's a challenging, difficult time for the union and a difficult time for unions in general," Hamm said (though he pointed to the change in the White House in noting that "even in the roughest of times good things can come out of challenging times"). "We'll continue to negotiate in good faith, and in solidarity as a union."More than one option(Person) Doug Allen
(Person) Doug Allen
(Person) Doug Allen
suzyquzy
suzyquzy
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

:: News

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum