Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Past Revisited - K, by fairytales_end

+6
Zeddie
CanadianBones
ToZiKa
missdebra87
flyersfan35
fairytales_end
10 posters

Go down

A Past Revisited - K, by fairytales_end Empty A Past Revisited - K, by fairytales_end

Post by fairytales_end Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:25 pm

So this is my first fanfic, I hope you guys enjoy it Smile

And thanks to Kasper for reading it over and for the input Very Happy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Brennan walked into the waiting room, still shocked at Angela’s reaction to what she was about to do. As she sat anxiously her eyes searched the room. Couples of all different ages sat together with nerve-racked looks on their faces. But Brennan noticed one thing, they were all couples. The website hadn’t said anything about needing a couple...had it? She thought back to just before Angela had interrupted her. She was logged into Foster Carers.com and had been scanning the page when her best friend walked in.

“Hey Sweetie, what are you doing? Foster parents? Bren..?”

She hadn’t wanted to explain it to Angela, but knowing her friend’s knack for getting information out of her, Brennan decided she would tell her.

“I’m applying to be a foster parent. I remember when I was growing up, how many families I went through... and the longing to find the right one. It hurts when you’re just a kid and you’re all alone. I want to do this.”

“But Bren, did you even want kids?”

“Anthropologically speaking, having children makes sense, it’s what women’s bodies are designed to do. I don’t have an alpha male to mate with so this is my other option.”

“Sweetie, I asked what YOU want…”

“I think this is what I want. I think I want to have kids. And I do want to help someone like me…”

“Oh, well Bren, I never knew you wanted to be a mum, I always thought you were more work orientated. But good luck Sweetie.”

Brennan had needed to leave as to make her appointment in time, but all the way over she was worrying about Angela’s comment. She didn’t see her as a mother? What was that supposed to mean?

“Dr. Temperance Brennan? Ms. Phalanges will see you now.”

Brennan stood up to walk into the interview room. She could imagine Booth giving her a prep talk right about now. “Bones, you can do this… You know you can. You’ll be alright, I’m here.” She was starting to wish that she’d told him about this…

“Dr. Brennan, please sit down. I’m Regina Phalanges. Now I understand you’ve filled out and brought with you all the suitable paperwork and recommendations. I just have a few questions to ask you. Why do you want to be a foster parent?”

Brennan had been playing this in her mind over and over again, each time with a different answer, but she didn’t know what to say so she did something she’d never done before. She spoke using her heart instead of her mind, her logic and her intelligence.

“I was a foster kid. I know what it’s like. I want kids I just don’t have the right person at the moment. I think that I can do this. I want to do this. I don’t know if that’s what you were looking for but that’s the truth.”

Brennan had surprised herself with this answer. She didn’t know what she was going to say, but she didn’t think it would have been that.

“Well Dr. Brennan, I can see you’re more than qualified for this. Am I to take it you’re intending to foster without a partner then?”

“Yes…”

“Okay well this all seems to be in order; we will be in contact with you soon. Did you have any questions?”

“No. Thank you, Ms. Phalanges. Goodbye.”

“Goodbye. Oh, and, Dr. Brennan?”

“Yes?”

“Good luck.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Brennan decided against driving into the Jeffersonian. If they needed her they could call. She got home and checked her messages just in case. There was one from Booth.

“Bones!? Bones, why didn’t you tell me? This is such an important decision. Were you scared? Argh. I can’t talk to a machine. Just give me a call.”

She could tell he’d slammed the phone down; she had to call him back immediately…

“Hi, Booth…?” He’d answered on the first ring; he must have been expecting the call.

“Bones, what were you thinking not telling me? We’re partners!”

“Booth, I was just scared of what you’d think. We’d never talked about me being a parent, let alone a foster mum.”

“Bones, it’s a brilliant idea. You’ll be great. I just wish you had told me…”

“Thanks Booth.”

“Well Bones, I’ve got to go, I’m on my way to pick up Parker. You could come along, you know; if you want…”

“It’s okay Booth, but thanks for the offer.”

“See you Bones.”

He’d disconnected before she had the chance to say goodbye. It was obvious he was still hurt by her decided not to tell him.

Brennan decided that rather than sit around and wonder when the call from the agency would come, she would go into work. She still had hundreds of remains to identify, and while working with Booth was fun, this was what she was hired for.

Brennan was hunched over a set of WWI remains when Angela entered the room.

“Sweetie, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it. You’ll make a wonderful mother.”

“Thanks Ange, I know you didn’t mean it…”

Brennan was about to say more when her phone started to ring.

“Hold on a sec….Hello?... Yes, of course. I understand. I’ll be there in half an hour. Okay. Goodbye.”

“I’ve got to go Ange.”

“Wait, was that Booth? Do we have a case? I thought he had Parker this weekend…”

“No, it was Regina Phalanges.”

“Who?”

“She’s the woman who is in charge of delegating foster children to foster parents.”
fairytales_end
fairytales_end
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 15296
Say What You Want : I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane.
Registration date : 2008-12-26

http://fairytales-end.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

A Past Revisited - K, by fairytales_end Empty Re: A Past Revisited - K, by fairytales_end

Post by flyersfan35 Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:32 pm

Aw casey, that was good! And haha, you used cup's suggestion for the name...lol. Interesting beginning...I'll be looking forward to see what happens next.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Number of posts : 68808
Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

Closing time - time for you to go back to the places you will be from.
Closing time - this room won't be open 'til your brothers or your sisters come.
So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.
Closing time - every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

A Past Revisited - K, by fairytales_end Empty Re: A Past Revisited - K, by fairytales_end

Post by fairytales_end Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks Smile
fairytales_end
fairytales_end
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by missdebra87 Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:14 pm

hehe. Love the name.... Looking forward to seeing what happens next.
missdebra87
missdebra87
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 16433
Say What You Want : Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, Teacher Certification, Departmental Recognition, Magna Cum Laude
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:44 pm

sounds interesting
can't wait for more
but Phalanges? and Brennan didn't say anything?

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianBones Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:46 am

regina phalanges Laughing ...nice...go pheebs!! It's Phoebe's fake name she always uses on Friends...or the part that's wrong on the plane(was it the left or right phalanges??) so Rachel will get off it and go see ROSS!!
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1266
Say What You Want : they shouldn't be doing that on the forensic platform. - brennan
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by fairytales_end Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:48 am

Thanks guys...

And yeah, I know, that wasn't very Brennan like...I'll try harder next time Razz
fairytales_end
fairytales_end
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeddie Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:46 am

This is great!!! love the name!!! update soon!!
Zeddie
Zeddie
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 12060
Say What You Want : Fanfiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done
in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk.
-- Henry Jenkins
A Past Revisited - K, by fairytales_end 8d0b0409962e33290be09e7890718bde2b3c7fe1
Registration date : 2009-01-08

http://www.fanfiction.net/~csiloverzed

Back to top Go down

Post by fairytales_end Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:16 am

Hey guys, here's part two...

Thank you so so so much Fly and Kas for all your help Very Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brennan had driven over to the Agency as soon as Regina Phalanges had called. As she sat in the same waiting room she had a couple of weeks ago, she felt the same uneasy feeling. Although she figured it was just about her application, Brennan was still worried. What if she needed a partner? What if Cam had given her a bad character reference? Although the envelope was sealed, she should have read it through first... What if…?

“Dr. Brennan, I’m so glad you could make it on such short notice.” Regina Phalanges had interrupted Brennan’s seemingly endless chain of doubt.

“If you just follow me into me office, there’s something we need to discuss.”

Brennan shut the door behind her and took a seat.

“I understand you said that you would prefer to foster a teenager if at all possible, Dr. Brennan?”

“Please, call me Temperance or Tempe; and yes.”

“Of course, Temperance, we have a fifteen year old girl who has been in and out of foster homes for half of her life. Her parents abused her and her older brother until social services stepped in and put the siblings into fostering. Her last foster home kicked her out, and while she is a handful I believe you can handle it.”

Brennan closed her eyes, deep in thought. A fifteen year old girl in foster care separated from her brother. This was all sounding a little familiar. She had to take this girl and be there for her just as she wished someone had been for her.

“Temperance, please don’t feel rushed into making a decision…”

“No,” Brennan cut her off, “I’ll do it.”

“Well, Temperance, Lorelai will appreciate it. Someone will be around to your house to see if it has all the necessary facilities for her, and if so, you can pick her up on Thursday.”

That gave Brennan four days to figure out how the hell she was going to manage.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -
Brennan sat at home thinking how rushed the whole process had been. She signed up as a foster parent only a few weeks earlier and here she was expecting a fifteen year old “handful” to come into her home…Her home, where she brought work home to. She would hardly be able to concentrate with a teenager around. That could prove to be a problem. And her long hours would have to stop. Brennan paused for a moment, how much was she giving up for someone she’d never met?

It had been a fitful night of sleep for Brennan, and as her alarm sounded she was regretting her choice of time for picking Lorelai up.

As she pulled up outside the agency, Brennan could see Regina Phalanges and a young girl waiting for her. It only occurred to her now what a peculiar last name Phalanges was. She assumed that she’s been too occupied previously to notice.

Brennan stepped out of the car and turned to the stone-faced girl she presumed was Lorelai, who stood with her arms crossed.

“Temperance Brennan, meet Lorelai Willis.” Regina Phalanges looked quite uncertain of her choice.

“Hi Lorelai, it’s nice to finally meet you.”

“Whatever.” Lorelai glared so hard at Brennan, her eyes seemed as though they might break.

This wasn’t going to be easy, Brennan realized. She thought back to when she was a teenager…that wouldn’t help her much here. She’d been just as noncompliant.

“So, Lorelai, what grade are you in?”

“Nine, What’s it matter to you anyway?”

“Um sorry, but Temperance, if you could just sign this, I’ll leave you two.”

Brennan quickly read through the form and signed her name at the bottom, barely in time before Regina grabbed the form and quickly disappeared inside. Obviously Lorelai made her uncomfortable.

“Lorelai, unless you want to do something else, we should get your things and take you home. Get you settled in.” Brennan gave the hostile girl her friendliest smile.

Lorelai held up a large garbage bag only partially full. Her facial expression never varying from the cold, distant look she’d had when Brennan had first arrived.

After many failed attempts at conversation on Brennan’s part, the two sat in silence in the car. This would be a long ride home, Brennan thought to herself.

When they arrived home, Lorelai grabbed her bag forcefully from the car and gestured for Brennan to lead the way, somehow making the action seem offensive.

Once inside the apartment Brennan showed Lorelai to her room in silence. Not knowing what to expect, Brennan had bought some posters of “Top 40” bands that were supposed to be popular…not that she’d known what that meant.

Brennan stole a glance at Lorelai to try and gauge her reaction and saw the beginnings of what looked to be a smile.

“Make yourself at home. The bathroom is the next room and my bedroom is just across the hall. Do you want anything particular for lunch?”

“No,” Lorelai had scoffed.

“Well I’ll just make something and call you when it’s ready.”

Brennan paced her room. She had no idea how she was going to do this, or who she could call if she needed help. Maybe Booth, although she seriously doubted he’d have that much experience with teenage girls. Brennan smirked to herself with the thought of Booth as a teenager.

Brennan went into the kitchen and started making lunch when the phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Sweetie, is she there yet?”

“Oh, hey Ange, yeah I picked her up about an hour ago.” She should have known it was either Angela or Booth.

“Wow, Bones. So you’re officially a mum?” asked Booth. Or Angela AND Booth…

“Foster mum, Booth. Who else is there?”

“Oh just us…And Cam, and Hodgins, and Zack...” Brennan heard murmuring in the background. “Hi, Dr. Brennan!”

“And Sweets I take it?”

“Yeah, he won’t leave. So what’s it like?”

“I don’t know, she won’t talk to me…Why’s everybody there? Do you have a case?”

“Geeze, Bones, loosen up a little. We just wanted to know how it was going.”

“Oh, sorry, Booth. Look I should probably serve lunch. I’ll call you later Ange. Bye.”

There was a chorus of goodbyes and good lucks and she put the phone back into its cradle.

Was luck really what she needed to get through to this girl? Brennan was never one to rely on superstition, but she wasn’t sure what else she could rely on.

Brennan rapped softly on Lorelai’s door.

“Yeah?”

“Lunch is ready.”

Lorelai emerged from her room donning a pair of headphones with rock music blaring from them.

“Lorelai, Lorelai? Lorelai! LORELAI!”

“What?!”

“I’d appreciate it if you took those off for now.”

“Oh. Whatever.” Lorelai yanked her headphones off and threw them forcefully back into her room.

Both the woman sat opposite each other eating and subtly observing the other’s behavior.

“So, Lorelai. What’re you interested in?”

“I dunno.”

“Music? Science? Because, you know I’m a forensic anthropologist?” Brennan wasn’t quite sure what teenagers were into these days.

“I guess.” Brennan had notice that at the mention of Science and Music, Lorelai had lifted her head slightly. Maybe she was onto something.

“I think we have Career Day coming up soon. Wait, do I have to change schools again?”

“Not as long as you’re with me, no.”

“Cool. Pass the bread?”

Please, Brennan thought to herself. Did this kid have no manners? Well maybe she was starting to get through to her a little. Maybe it was time to call on one of her friends for some reassurance. She wasn’t sure who she might call as she walked to the lounge room and picked up her phone. She dialed a number sighed heavily.

“Dr. Lance Sweets.”

“Hi Sweets, it’s Brennan. I need your help.”
fairytales_end
fairytales_end
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by newhaven5 Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:09 pm

I am so excited to see what comes next!! Great job so far.
newhaven5
newhaven5
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 99
Say What You Want : I would like for Bones and Booth to get over themselves and get together. Obviously!
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:46 am

Oho....Sweets?
Really?
I would have never thought she would call him of all people.....and I don't think that he can help......but you never know, right?
Maybe he is good with teenagers after all.
Can't wait for more!

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!

Back to top Go down

Post by fairytales_end Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks guys
fairytales_end
fairytales_end
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetie_dude Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:58 am

hey liking the story. very good Smile can't wait for more
sweetie_dude
sweetie_dude
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1887
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fairytales_end Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks fly for your input and for reading this over for me Smile Much appreciated Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hello Dr. Brennan, what can I help you with?”

“Hey Sweets…I’m having a little trouble with Lorelai, she wont open up to me. She should talk to someone, right? Of course.” Brennan tried to reassure herself. “What if she wants to talk about what happened? I don’t know how to cope with that!” Obviously it hadn’t worked.

“Dr. Brennan, if Lorelai wants to talk, get her to talk to a professional; you can’t really provide her with the help she needs. I’ll give you a friend’s number, she’s a psychiatrist but she specializes in teens.”

“Thanks Sweets.” Dr. Brennan was glad she’d called him. As Brennan jotted down the number Sweets was reading out, she though she heard sobbing from Lorelai’s room.

“Dr. Brennan, I know I’m not really a part of your team, but I appreciate you calling me, and if you have any problems or anything, feel free to call me again.”

“Alright, Sweets. But you are a part of our team. I should go. Have a good weekend. Bye.”

After she had replaced the phone in its cradle, Brennan sat in silence for a few moments, listening to see if Lorelai was crying. She heard a stifled sigh followed by a quiet sniffle.

“Lorelai?” Brennan called as she softly tapped the door.

Lorelai sat up on her bed, her back facing Brennan, moving her arms to wipe what Brennan knew to be tears off her face.

“Lorelai, do you want to talk about anything?”

“No! I’m fine, just leave me alone.” The pain in her voice was barely recognizable under the façade Lorelai had put up.

“Sweetie,” Brennan decided to try an Angela-like approach, it always seemed to work on her. “If everything’s fine, why are you crying?”

“Because I…Nothing’s wrong!” Lorelai had been about to open up to Brennan but had snapped at her instead.

Brennan looked at Lorelai who was sitting staring at the window and decided it was best just to leave.

As she walked into her room, Brennan couldn’t help but feel disappointed. She’d known it was going to be hard but had somehow hoped that Lorelai would warm up to her. Brennan changed into her pajamas and flopped on her bed. Glancing at the clock she knew that she had time to read the Anthropological Journal, but at that moment she didn’t feel like it…

Brennan woke with a start. She squinted at the clock. “2 AM”. She’d heard a noise, that’s what had woken her, but what was it? Brennan was trying to remember when she’d fallen asleep when she heard yelling.

“Dad, I didn’t mean it! It was an accident! I’m sorry!” This was followed by loud sobs.

Brennan stood and searched for her dressing gown. Once she’d located it, she put it on and crossed the hall to Lorelai’s room.

Opening the door only enough to let a crack of light in, Brennan could see the unruly teenager was asleep, although her sheets were a mess as though she’d been thrashing about.

“What the hell did her parents do to her?” Brennan wondered aloud as she shut Lorelai’s door and returned to her room.

Brennan stirred and then awoke at 9AM. Noticing the time she jumped out of bed. She checked her phone as she’d never been late for work before, someone ought to have called her. Then she noticed the date. ‘Sat Feb 7’. Brennan realized she had Lorelai and remembered her disturbed sleep the night before.

Deciding to let Lorelai sleep, after all she was 15, Brennan made breakfast. After eating she got her book, the newest one she was writing, and stared intently at the page hoping the an idea for over an hour before she gave up and opted to read.

She read for hours, stopping only to fetch lunch and ponder over waking Lorelai. At 3PM Lorelai finally appeared in the kitchen.

“Good afternoon, Lorelai. How did you sleep?”

“Fine.” Came the grunted response.

Brennan was getting cereal for Lorelai when she heard her speak uncertainly.

“Um, Tempe, do you think I can hang out with some friends this afternoon?”

Since it was after 3, Brennan assumed Lorelai meant soon.

While pouring Lorelai’s cereal, Brennan answered. “I guess so, but be back here by 10.”

Brennan set the bowl and milk down in front of Lorelai and walked away; hoping that saying here rather than home might make Lorelai feel slightly more comfortable.

After eating breakfast and dumping her bowl in the sink for Brennan to wash, Lorelai disappeared into her room.

Emerging a full hour later sporting jeans and an ill-fitting hoodie, Lorelai nodded at Brennan as she reached for the door handle.

“Wait, Lorelai, I don’t have a number to contact you at, and you don’t have mine.” Brennan grabbed a pile of post its and wrote her home, mobile and work numbers on it. She handed it to Lorelai who in return handed back a scrawled, almost illegible number.

“Can I go now?”

“OK. See you at 10, Lorelai.”

“Bye.” The response was uttered once Lorelai was already out the door.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brennan was looking over the bones of an old unidentified victim when she saw that it was 9PM. She lived only a quarter of an hour away but she should start heading home so she could be there when Lorelai got back.

A little after 10PM, there was a knock on the door. Brennan rose and answered the door, glad that Lorelai had returned.

“Hey Tempe!” Lorelai slurred.

“Lorelai, are you okay?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine…great actually. We had so much fun!” Lorelai stumbled into the hallway.

“Lorelai, are you…drunk?” Mortified, Brennan knew it was true.

“No, of course not…”

“Lorelai! You’re only 15. Drinking is illegal, not to mention irresponsible at your age! Do you know how much liver damage it can cause?” Damn teenagers, Brennan thought to herself.

“Oh just p-ss off Tempe! I thought you were cool! Move!” Lorelai made an uncouth attempt to pass Brennan.

“Lorelai Addison Willis! You’re not going anywhere! You’re grounded!” Brennan imagined this is what her parents would have done to her…middle name and all.

“But Tempe…..”

“Lorelai, I want you to see someone for me alright?”

“Will it get you off my back?” Lorelai sounded defensive.

“Well no, but it could be good for me.”

“No!”

“Lorelai, please, for me? You only to go once, and then if it helps, you have a choice. How does that sound?” Brennan knew that reasoning with a drunken Lorelai would be a lot easier than with the sober one.

“Only once?”

“Yeah, so what do you say?”

“Fine… I guess.”

“This is great! Lorelai this might help you so … Lorelai? Lorelai are you okay?”

“I don’t feel so good.” Lorelai stuttered.

The teenager was looking at Brennan but her eyes were vacant. She looked confused for a moment before collapsing in the middle of the hall.

“Oh cr-p.” Brennan uttered to herself as she tried to position herself in a good way to haul Lorelai to her room.

Once Lorelai was in bed Brennan decided to leave her and talk to her in the morning when she was sober.
fairytales_end
fairytales_end
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonlightGardenias Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:58 pm

An interesting turn of events. I like the idea of Brennan becoming a foster mother though. Great job!
MoonlightGardenias
MoonlightGardenias
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1092
Say What You Want : Everything happens eventually...
Registration date : 2009-01-25

http://www.fanfiction.net/~moonlightgardenias

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:51 pm

hmmm she's drinking too?
well this girl looks like trouble.....
I hope Bren can get her to open up to her...maybe she'll need some help, but I think she can do it
can't wait for more

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Back to top Go down

Post by PIMP Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:11 am

Liking it a lot so far! Keep it up! Smile
PIMP
PIMP
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 16028
Say What You Want : Don't tempt me, I give in easy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum