Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Boy From Philly (Rated M, friendship, fluff, angst)

+25
carolelr
Jaeleigh
A2BOREANAZ
newhaven5
missdebra87
CanadianBones
Bella Loony
Kajunblueyes
bonesblogger
crimescenegirl
Aloemilk
fairytales_end
DavidBluva
Cassiopeia
sweetie_dude
CheeseBK
raklx
SpecialAgentLenni
VentiGirl
DBCrazy
xBeMinex
ToZiKa
Shakari
Cameomum
ForensicMama
29 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

A Boy From Philly (Rated M, friendship, fluff, angst) - Page 2 Empty Re: A Boy From Philly (Rated M, friendship, fluff, angst)

Post by ToZiKa Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:59 am

OMG he killed his own son?
How could he do something like that?
Poor Booth really had a bad childhood......

Of course it was nice that they shared the bed.....but I would have prefered a more cuddly scene....but I guess it is okay for a start....they still have a few days to get closer together.

I really can't wait for more!!
PPS

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

A Boy From Philly (Rated M, friendship, fluff, angst) - Page 2 Empty Re: A Boy From Philly (Rated M, friendship, fluff, angst)

Post by ForensicMama Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:12 am

Part IX

Brennan's feet hit the tile. She dried off quickly and dressed. A long shower had given her time to think. And the more she thought, the more she listed questions in her mind. When she made it into the kitchen, a strange mixture of scents flooded her senses. "What's that?"

Anne turned around and smiled. "Eggs and bacon."

Brennan smiled. Apparently 'wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey' wasn't just a phrase.

Booth looked up and flashed her a grin, "Morning, Bones."

"How'd you all sleep?" Anne asked. She sat down a bowl of scrambled eggs next to the plates of bacon and pancakes.

"I slept good, thanks," Tanya said. All eyes went to her. It seems that everyone had realized that she hadn't said a word all morning.

Jared chuckled and leaned back, putting his arm around Tanya. "No, you don't have to lie to Mom, Tanya." Then he looked at Anne. "That pull-out felt like a two-ton brick of cement."

"Concrete." Booth and Brennan corrected him in unison.

Jared stabbed a blob of eggs and lifted his fork to his mouth. "Well, it's no wonder why you two were so willing to share a bed."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Booth asked calmly.

"Oh, come on, Seeley. You two act like you've got Syphilis or something. I'm surprised you didn't paint a yellow stripe down the center of Mom's antique quilt." The eggs were shoveled in.

"I don't think Anne would be very happy if we did that," Brennan said.

A second passed. Jared studied her expression."Is she serious?"

Booth didn't reply to that. "It's not the first time Bones and I have shared a bed."

All forks froze in mid-air. Except Brennan's. "These are delicious eggs, Anne."

"I'll have to share the recipe with you, sweetie. What did you mean, Seeley?" Anne's voice sounded distant.

"Under cover, Mom. Vegas. And another time this last January."

"Oh," Anne began to breathe and all tension released from her face. "I thought I'd have to have the birds and bees talk with you again." She laughed.

"I don't know, Mom. You might have to have that talk, yet with these two." Jared.

Booth glared at him and flicked an egg across the table. "You're a riot, Jared."

"Look at that. Eggs from the brother who sucks eggs!" Jared flicked an egg back.

"Boys!" Anne scolded them, although her voice hinted at the fact that she was joking. And that she loved having her sons together under one roof.

"Well!" Jared stood, clearing his throat. "Tanya and I have the first shift of the day. You relieving us at two?" Anne nodded. "Alright. Thanks for breakfast, Mom."

Anne stood and kissed Jared's cheek. She hugged Tanya, "Nice to meet you, Tanya."

"You, too, Mrs. Booth."

"No. It's Armstrong. But I'd prefer it if you just call me Anne."

"Anne."

While Anne let the two out, Brennan leaned close to Booth. "Does your mom realize that your father may have caused Kevin's death?"

Booth put his elbows on the table. "I don't know, Bones. Besides, I was ten. I could've remembered it all wrong."

She thought this over. "Would your mom allow me to do an exhumation?"

"Bones. You don't just go around unburying painful memories. It's in the past now. Dad's about to die. My Mom's at peace with Kevin's death."

"But I could prove whether or not it was fowl play. If he truly died from Shaken Baby then it might--"

"No. It's not a good idea, Bones."

"But if it was SIDS then it might bring closure. From my own experiences, I've come to appreciate value of closure."

"But if it doesn't bring closure, then it'll just bring to surface a million terrible memories for my Mom."

Anne walked into the room, cutting the conversation short. "What are you two talking so seriously about?"

"Just work stuff, Mom."

"Well, why don't you put that stuff on hold while you're here?" She took a seat and poured coffee into her mug. "Tanya seems like a nice young lady. I don't care much for her line of work, but I like to think that everyone has a bit of good in them."

"I personally have no problems with her profession. She's an entertainer. The American version of the Geisha." Brennan sipped her coffee.

"My sisters would've liked you, Tempe."

"Are they no longer alive?"

"Catherine went to be with God last summer. She was seventy."

"I'm so sorry."

"We all have to die eventually." She smiled weakly. "I just miss her from time to time." She cleared her throat and wrapped her fingers around her mug. "And Beatrice lives in Oregon. The last time I saw her was... in 1979." Her eyes settled on the table cloth and her countenance reflected the sadness that came from that comment. "It was at a funeral," she added softly.

"Kevin's?"

Booth squeezed his eyes shut. Anne looked up at Brennan sharply. "What did you say?"

"It was Kevin's funeral, right?"

"Bones," Booth whispered harshly.

Anne pushed back her chair quickly. The chair screeched along the floor. "I can't believe you, Seeley." She walked out of the room and closed her bedroom door with a thud.

"What did I say?"

Booth stood up without answering Brennan's question. He crossed over to his mother's bedroom door and knocked. "Mom. Mom, I'm sorry. Please open up."

"Just go away," she murmured from within.

"Mom, please."

"You swore, Seeley."

"Mom, you're being silly." He knocked and tried the handle. Locked. "Mom!"

"I'm not senile, Seeley. I know I'm being ridiculous. I just don't want to see you right now."

Booth sighed and rested his back against the door. He bounced his head against the door a few times, then his eyes fell on Brennan. She was standing beside the table. She looked hurt. Surprised. Annoyed. Confused. "Mom, I told Bones because... I trust her with my life." No reply. "And... I trust her with everything in between." No reply. "Just let me in, Mom."

Brennan walked up to him and leaned her shoulder against the door. "Did you mean that?"

"What?"

"Do you really trust me with your life... and everything in between?"

"Yeah. I do. We're partners." He reached out and slid his hand along her arm, his fingers slipped into hers. He squeezed them. Before the heat had a chance to build, he let go. "Mom didn't want me to tell anyone about Kevin."

"Why didn't you respect her wishes?"

"I had to tell somebody, Bones. I can't keep reliving these things. Memories of Dad. Memories of Mom, Jared, Kevin. There's nobody I trust more in this world with these things than you."

Their eyes locked, then faltered.

"Anne?" Of course there was no reply. Brennan looked up at her partner. "Booth only told me about Kevin because he needed to... purge his demons. He didn't mean to hurt you. I know your son fairly well. He is good and decent. I don't think he would ever purposefully hurt you."

"Thanks, Bones."

The door opened and Booth embraced his mother tightly.
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4649
Say What You Want : MAMA: STONE-COLD SHIPPER.

http://www.bonesspoilers.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:04 am

so sometimes Boens can say the right thing after all....
I love the little fluffy scenes in between all the bad childhood memories of Booth
can't wait for more!

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameomum Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:15 am

I'm glad Bones was able to get Anne to open the door--she's right though. Anne needs to face the truth so she can release it. Excellent as usual.

Cameomum
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:34 am

Here's another chapter before I go. I'll be watching my mom tonight, so hopefully another chapter will be up tomorrow (they have no internet).

Part X

"From an anthropological perspective, strippers, prostitutes, and other--"

"I'm not a prostitute, sweetheart."

"Of course not. What I'm saying is that, for some men, emotional bonds are only strengthened when sexual bonds are forged with other women. Or, in your case, simply watching a woman dance around a pole, might bleed sexual surplus, therefore keeping the bond between the monogamous man and the woman strong."

Tanya took a pack of Virginia Slims from the back pocket of her cut-offs. She flicked the butt of the cigarette a few times before putting it in her mouth. "I don't know what the hell you just said, sweetheart. You lost me a long time ago."

"You really shouldn't smoke cigarettes. They can cause a plethora of cancers."

"I'm not afraid to die. Cancer's a hell of a lot less scarier than getting hit by a bus or getting murdered, am I right?" She lit the cigarette, took a long drag and looked over at Brennan.

Brennan measured this comment for almost a full half-minute before responding, "Technically, I'd say that you're right. I'm a forensic anthropologist--"

"A what?"

"A scientist. I identify decomposed human remains when traditional methods are no longer useful--"

"That answers a few questions I've had about you," Tanya laughed.

"Anyway, I've seen what humans can do to one another in a fit of rage or jealousy, and I agree with you. I'd rather die from cancer than by murder or some horrendous accident." Brennan hugged her knees and readjusted her bottom on the rocks.

A second later, Booth swung through the brush. "Wooo! Hooo! Hoo-wee!" He let go of the rope and dropped into the water with a huge splash.

"Your man's got quite a body on him." Tanya blew out some of the smoke from her lips.

Brennan scrunched her nose and waved it away from her face. "Oh, no. Booth and I aren't-- We're not--"

"Don't lose your shirt, Tempe. I didn't call Seeley your boyfriend. I said man." She raised an eyebrow and looked over at Brennan, who looked somewhat flustered.

A moment later, Jared swung through the brush, released and dropped into the water.

"So, what is it with you two? Mind if I ask?" Tanya said.

"I don't understand the question."

Tanya laughed. "You're really like this, aren't you?"

"Like what?"

"That's why Seeley likes you. You're funny. No, seriously. Are you all 'we're just partners' on the outside, but all hot and heavy when the lights go out?"

"I don't feel comfortable discussing this with you."

"Well, if he's anything like his brother is in the sack--"

Brennan stood up, "I'm going to have my turn on the rope swing."

"Sure, sure." Tanya watched Brennan walk out of sight. She laughed as she walked away.

Booth got out of the water. "Hey, Bones."

"Hi."

"I want to show you something."

"OK."

Booth led Brennan around the bend in the river, where the water was smooth and slow. He picked up a rock. "What you need is a rock that's shaped like this one. See how it's kind of flat and round?"

"Yes."

"Watch this." He grinned, took his stance, pulled back his arm, and let the rock sling-shot out of his hand. It skipped across the water three times before finally falling beneath the surface. Sploonk!

"You realize that this is science, don't you?" Brennan grinned. She picked up a rock that fit the description that Booth had just given her.

"Nah," Booth said. Although, he knew that it was.

"The rock bounces off from the water because of surface tension. I actually read an article on this in the Jeffersonian Magazine a few years back."

"They wrote an article on this?"

"They take science very seriously. Even the most mundane of events is article-worthy."

"Apparently. Now pull your arm back. Like this." Booth modeled for her. She tried to match, but failed.

"According to the author, the physics for rock skipping depend on the stone's diameter, velocity, mass, tilt, angle of attack, and the density of the water." She pulled back her arm, released the rock. It fell beneath the surface on first contact. She looked defeated and blew a stray strand of hair out of her face.

"Bones, Bones, Bones." He grinned that cocky grin. "I'd put my money on it that the guy who wrote that article couldn't skip a rock of his life depended on it. Some things are more than science. Some things are all about experiencing them." He walked toward her, and took her hand. "Now, I'm not coming on to you. Try to resist my charm." She rolled her eyes, but her comment and breath caught in her mouth as soon as his hand touched hers. He pulled it back. "You have to throw it at a bit of a side-ways angle." He showed her how to throw it. "About at this speed. It doesn't matter what that scientist guy said, it's all about technique."

He let go. She pulled her arm back. Released. The rock skipped twice and dipped beneath the water. "I did it." There was surprise in her voice. Then she said with more confidence, "Of course I did it."

"Well, you did have a great teacher. See, Bones? I can teach you stuff. You can teach me stuff. This is how this partner thing works!" He was thoroughly pleased with himself.

"I don't know, Booth. There are always flaws in ones' techniques."

"Not mine, Bones. I'm the Rock Skipping Champion of the World. Ask Jared."

"Was this one of your summertime activities?" She took a seat on a rock, her feet in the water.

Booth took a seat beside her. "We got pretty good at it. Jared almost beat me for the title, but in the end, it was clear who the true RS Champ was."

"You?" Brennan asked teasingly.

"Hey! I still have the trophy to prove my awesomeness."

"There was a trophy?"

Booth laughed. "I hot-glued a rock to an old baseball trophy."

Brennan looked at him teasingly. "Wow. That's simply amazing, Booth. You are such an Alpha Male. A true specimin of manliness." To say that that whole sentence was dry on sarcasm is to say that Dolly Parton should go up a size.

Booth pushed his hands into the pockets of his shorts. "Sarcasm. Nice, Bones. Real nice. You should do Stand Up." He took a few steps back toward the water.

Brennan noticed. "Where are you going?"

"It's hot, Bones. Are you hot?"

"The weather is unseasonably war--"

Booth cut off her diagnosis of the weather with a cold splash of river water. Brennan sucked in a sharp breath, "Ah!"

When she had finished drying her face with her shirt, she eyed Booth with a look of calculated determination.

Booth started laughing and stumbling backward. Then the laughter stopped when he realized that he had truly made a mistake. "No. Bones. You don't know what you're--Bones! No--No--No--No--NO!!!"

She jumped on him, wrapping her legs around his torso and throwing him off balance. It's not like the man had never dreamed of the scenario before. Admittedly, neither one were clothed and there was a soft bed to catch his fall in those particular imaginings. In this case, Booth was wearing swimming trunks, Brennan was fully clothed, and a cold riverbed was there to cushion their fall.

"Bo--" She dunked his head under water. "--nes!" Another dunk. "Bo--" Another dunk. "nes!" At that moment in time, Booth realized something. He was playing nice. Because she was a 'girl'. He also realized something else. There was no need to play nice with Temperance Brennan. She was trained in martial arts. She'd killed a man before. And a woman!

No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Booth shifted his weight so that he was on top of her and she was the one being dunked. She clawed at him. Booth laughed. Payback.

Jared and Tanya looked on in horror. Maybe those two shouldn't be together after all. Or maybe they should. Sexual tension much?

Brennan squirmed out from beneath him and splashed him one last time. The movement of her arm brought a sharp pain up the back of her arm. "Ow." She twisted her arm to get a better look.

"Bones. Are you hurt?"

"Yes, I'm hurt. You just attacked me."

Booth walked through the water up to her. "Let me."

She drew in air sharply through her teeth, denoting the pain that his touch caused.

"Sorry, Bones." A large scratch spanned the length of her arm, armpit to elbow. He looked up at her. Soaked from head to toe. He chuckled.

"What? Are you proud of yourself?"

"You know what, Bones? You attacked me. Not the other way around."

She pulled her arm out of Booth's hands. "See that's where you're wrong. You attacked me."

"As I recall, I was minding my own business and you took me down. Out of nowhere. Bam!"

"There's a fault in your logic, Booth. You forget about the loophole."

"What loophole?"

Brennan walked past him, then turned around. "I'm a girl. An innocent girl." She grinned and turned, walking out of sight.

Booth put his hands on his hips, shook his head, then jogged after her. "You are far from innocent, Bones!"
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:02 am

Good to have another fluffy chapter after the sad last one....although they slept in one bed so it wasn't too sad.....

I like it when you let them behave like teenagers in love from time to time.....it's just a shame that they don't realize it....

Can't wait for more!

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks! Very Happy

Part XI

At some point in our lives, we are too grown up to have nightmares. Instead, we just have memories that plague us, destroy our peaceful slumber, keep us from thinking good thoughts and flying on pixie dust.

Booth woke up.

It was still dark in the room. The whole house was asleep. Brennan's legs were tucked up against his stomach.

He lay still for ten or more minutes, trying to go back to sleep. Instead, the more he tried to go to sleep, the more he thought about it. He sat up and walked quietly out of the bedroom, down the short hallway, past his sleeping brother and Tanya. The full moon was glowing on her naked back. Jared had his arm around her.

In the kitchen, he ran the water for a few seconds then filled a white mug to the brim. Then he walked back into the bedroom. Brennan was asleep on her stomach.

He walked up to her and knelt beside the bed. It was not the first time he'd done anything like this, so he didn't hesitate when he smoothed her hair behind her ear.

She didn't stir.

So he leaned close and kissed her cheek.

She breathed in and sighed. She didn't stir any more than that. So he didn't either. He couldn't help but to think how lucky he was to find such a wonderful woman. Even if it wasn't a romantic relationship, it was still fulfilling. They were friends and colleagues. And sometimes he couldn't help but to think that maybe it was something else. Something more.

"Booth," she whispered, not opening her eyes. His heart leapt into his throat. "Why are you staring at me?" Her eyes opened.

He smiled, trying not to look as foolish as he felt. "Did I wake you?"

At least five smart-ass retorts ran through her mind, but she remembered his lips touching her cheek and she replied,"I don't mind." He didn't say anything, so she whispered, "Why are you awake?"

He took in a deep breath. Released it. Ran his hands through his hair. "I don't know what it is about this place, Bones. Things I haven't thought of in years seem to be all that I dream about any more."

"Nightmares?"

"I prefer the term, 'Disturbing dreams.'"

"Tomato potato," she replied.

Booth laughed.

"What were you dreaming about?"

"This time? There was this place-- you know, the swimming hole was seasonal-- in the crawl space under the house. I'm surprised I don't have some disease from inhaling insulation dust." He could feel the skin prickling on his scalp and across his arms. "Even if we were in there, we could hear everything. Pots and pans falling. Mom crying. Dad yelling. Things that go bump in the night." His eyes crinkled at the attempt at a joke. It didn't last long, though. His face dropped into that serious look that Brennan had only seen on a few occasions. When things became too personal. Too frightening. "I can't count how many times I took Jared down there. I wanted to take Mom, but it really came down to Jared or Mom. And Jared was smaller. I couldn't be the hero, Bones. Not if I wanted to."

She didn't know what to say to that. Should she offer up something of herself? Seconds passed. "I... always dream about my first foster mother. She was a nice woman, but she had too many foster children on her hands. It wasn't home. I always dream about waking up on Christmas morning and I come into the living room and Russ is there. I never dreamed about Mom or Dad being there. Maybe even my dreaming mind was too logical to pretend... even for one moment, that they could be alive." She seemed hurt by the realization. "Is that terrible of me?"

"Bones," he touched her face gently. "That's not terrible. Nothing you could ever do would be terrible in my eyes."

"You know... you don't have to be the hero all of the time."

He looked saddened. Distant. "Some things we can't help, Bones."

"Nature versus Nurture," Brennan said thoughtfully. "You were nurtured to be a protector." She paused. "I admire that in you."

They shared a long, deep look. She scooted over and pulled back the covers. Brennan never did anything without thinking about it first. It was far from being a spur-of-the-moment decision. That wasn't like her. And he knew that. So he slipped under the sheet next to her, wrapping his arm around her, burying his nose in her hair.

He was confident that he would fall asleep with her in his arms. No nightmares. No disturbing dreams about Jared or his mother.

Then she took his hand in hers. It was so broad and so familiar, as if she'd touched his hand a thousand times before. Then she laid his hand against her breast.

Booth's eyes fluttered open. No, more like shot open. He she meant to do that? Was it a happy accident or was she wanting more?

He decided to count to a very painful ten steamboats before testing the waters. When the tenth steamboat came and chugged away, Booth decided to test away by moving his thumb. Just a little bit. Something that could be easily explained away.

Brennan's mouth was dry. How could this man make her feel like a virginal eighteen-year-old? She would never know. Either way, her head spun, she felt like she'd just tipped back some shots, and it took everything in her not to just attack the man like she'd done earlier in the river.

His thumb slipped between the buttons on her pajama top, touching the soft skin of her breast. She seemingly didn't respond. Good? Or bad? It was getting harder and harder to not control himself. He circled her areola. Still nothing. Maybe it was a good sign.

There was a line. A line that would always be there.

What line? His hand slipped under her nightshirt swiftly. Then she turned. She touched his face gently. He dropped a kiss on her neck.

Enough with formality.

She switched places with him before he even knew what was happening. She was the kind of woman who took charge. And some times, that meant being on top. Not just professionally speaking. Although, in this particular case, the bounds between the professional and the private were being quickly blended together.

He pulled the shirt over her head. It fell on the floor, or the bed or lampshade. Nobody's taking notes.

Neither said or did anything for a second. Then kissed the soft skin on the inside of her shoulder. Again between her breasts. Once again on her neck.

Somewhere in the background, a noise came from the living room. Neither noticed.

Finally, his lips reached hers. They kissed deeply, furiously, hungrily. They stopped for breath, then kissed again.

His hands slipped down the the waistband of her underwear.

A knock at the door. It swung open, "Hey, I just--WOAH!" Jared quickly shut the door.

Brennan pressed herself against Booth. He pulled the blanket over the two of them.

"What is it?!" Booth yelled.

"Uh... I, uh, I just got a call from Mom. She, uh, she wanted us to go to the hospital ASAP."

"What's wrong?"

"She wouldn't say. Tanya and I are going on ahead. I'll, uh... I'll meet you guys there. I'm really sorry."
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by VentiGirl Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:51 am

glad you posted again tonight, i am enjoying this one. Hope all is well with you and your family. I love you
VentiGirl
VentiGirl
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by SpecialAgentLenni Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:01 pm

Im a new member of the theaby and i have found this fanfic really interesting cant wait for the next chapter, plus i love your work forensic mama

SpecialAgentLenni

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Wow! Thanks Special Agent Lenni! And welcome to the ABY!!! Very Happy
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:06 pm

I hadn't intended on this story becoming 'fluffy', but it has... should I up the rating to an M?
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by VentiGirl Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:39 am

Ohhhhhhhh yes i love M's!
VentiGirl
VentiGirl
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:27 am

Why did something had to happen now?
Can't Booth's dad let him be happy for once?
Even know he still has to interrupt the good moments in his life.....
But I hop that now that the first step is done, they won't go back to what they had before, right?
You wouldn't do that to me, would you?

Can't wait for more!

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:45 am

Part XII

Booth and Brennan ran through the spotless halls of the hospital. A few nurses shouted for them to slow down, but neither listened.

When they reached his father's room, Tanya was standing back several feet. In front of the door, Jared was hugging Anne tightly. He rubbed her back in concentric circles. From the angle that Booth and Brennan were approaching, Booth could see Anne's red eyes and nose. Immediately his stomach dropped. A mixture of cold fear and guilt rose to the surface. Fear that the moment he'd been expecting for so long had come and guilt for not being there for his mother.

"Mom. Is Dad--" He couldn't finish the sentence.

The door of his father's room opened. Dr. Sweeeney closed it behind her. Since Anne was crying and Jared was comforting her, she addressed Booth, "He's breathing on his own now."

Booth closed his eyes. Opened them again. "What happened?"

"Your father stopped breathing and coded. We were able to resuscitate him."

Booth put his hand to his forehead and took several strides in the opposite direction as the news set in. He turned around. "Can we see him?"

"Yes, of course. I have to warn you about a few things, first."

Brennan reached for Booth's hand. He squeezed back firmly.

"He will be gurgling. Our lungs naturally collect fluid, but he simply isn't able to drain it away."

Jared let his mother go. Anne took a seat on a nearby chair. "Is it... is it painful?" Jared asked.

"Breathing isn't painful for him. However, he is complaining of pain in his hands and feet, which isn't uncommon for people with terminal cancer. He's also very drowsy and he may or may not recognize any of you." Rachel paused when Booth suddenly hugged Brennan. Two years later, it was finally being called even between them. He was afraid. "He is no longer on IV fluids or a feeding tube. At this stage, none of the nutrition is being absorbed. The best thing is to keep him comfortable. Now is the time to say good-bye if you haven't already."

Jared turned. When he turned back, he looked angry, hurt, sad. It was the first moment he'd actually thought that this could be it for his father. Not that he was inconsiderate. More that he was in denial. "Dammit!" His voice made Booth look at his brother. Tears were building in Jared's eyes.

Booth let go of Brennan and walked toward Jared. The two men embraced one another. This time it really was something between brothers.

Anne stood up from her seat. She composed herself quickly. There again was that silent strength that was Anne. "How about you ladies and I go get something to drink in the cafeteria?"

Brennan and Tanya followed quietly out of the hallway, leaving Seeley and Jared.

"F-cking sonovabitch. He goes and dies. It's just like him. Huh, Seeley?" Despite his words, it was obvious that Jared was hurting. He took a seat where Anne was sitting and put his head in his hands.

Booth took a seat beside him and put his hand on his shoulder. Jared shrugged it away.

"Do you know what it was like after you left for school? It was hell. You went and got your degree, then off to the army and whatever the hell else you did and I was alone with that man."

"You could've lived with Mom, Jared."

"F-ck no. She was... He had me convinced that she was a lazy stupid woman." A tear slipped from his eye and stopped at his lip. "I listened, Seeley. I listened to the bastard. Now I find myself actually feeling bad that the asshole's dying. What the f-ck, huh?" The brothers sat in silence for a while. "When you were gone, I was the punching bag. Not that I want that for you, but... I guess I felt alone." His voice cracked and he sobbed once or twice before speaking again. "I should be dancing on his grave, right? I should have clogs on back-order for Chr-st's sake. So why the hell does it hurt so damned much?"

"I guess... you can't help who you love. Look at Mom and Dad... Look at you and Tanya. And look--" Booth smiled, "Look at... Mom and... Dad."

Jared laughed and for a second tears and laughter commingled. "Yeah... I'm sorry about that, man. Hey, I knocked, right?"

Booth laughed. "You just forget about what you think you saw."

"You mean, forget about seeing a topless Tempe straddling my big brother on Mom's antique quilt? No. That one's going into the memory book. And every Christmas, we'll take it out and torture you with it." Booth feigned a laugh, clapped Jared on the back and squeezed the tendon that connected to his neck and shoulder. "Ow, ow, ow, ow!"

They both knew that the lighthearted chat would have to end some time.

"Ready for this, Jar Head?"

"Yeah. I guess I have to be, huh?"

They stood up.

Booth put his hand on the door handle.

"Hey," Jared said. Booth paused. "I need you to know that I love you. In a-- In a non-sword fighting kinda way."

Booth smiled. "I love you, too. In non-Oedipus-and-his-mom kinda way."

The door swung open slowly.

Mike lay in his hospital bed. He gurgled lightly. The sound almost made you want want to clear your throat. Which both brothers did simultaneously.

Mike turned his head slightly. "I... didn't think... you boys'd come. I'm... dying..."

"That's why we're here, Dad," Booth said.

"I... have something... to say... while I still... have my wits," Mike said. His voice was hardly above a whisper. The brothers had to move close enough to hear. He gurgled with every breath. His flesh was gray. The purple lip that hung from his face was now a pale pink. By then, Mike was so thin that he resembled a black-and-white photograph from WWII. Mike reached for a hand. Jared crossed his arms so his father couldn't hold his hand. Booth allowed Mike to hold his. "I know..." His speech was broken by his gasps for breath. "This is... a little late... but I need to say it. I love you boys. I'm... I'm very sorry, Jared. I'm very sorry... Seeley. I know that doesn't... excuse nothin'... but it had... to be said..."

Jared turned toward the window and put his hands on his hips. He turned back and came to his father's bedside. He put his hand in Mike's. "Dad--"

"You boys... put up with a lot... because of me. I know that doesn't excuse..." His expression changed mid-sentence. Mike retracted his hands from his sons. "What the f-ck... are you crying about? F-cking pussy. My sons... are a bunch of females... damned girls..."

Jared shook his head and walked out of the room. Booth left the room and followed Jared into the hall.

"I'm tired of giving that man second chances, Seeley."

"He's dying. He doesn't know what he's talking about."

"What? So I should forgive the mother f-cker? That was his last chance."

"Unfortunately, you're right. That was his last chance. He'll be dead in a few days."

"Yeah, well, Merry Christmas to me. I actually felt sorry for him. I feel more guilty about that than walking out of that room." Jared took a seat.

"You can't go back in time, Jared."

"What?"

"Our childhood. It's done. It's gone. We can't get it back and even if we could, we can't change the kind of person Dad is."

"A pathetic sonovabitch."

"I love Dad."

Jared looked up at him. "Why?"

Booth sat down beside him. He shrugged. "He's my Dad."

Jared chuckled. "You've convinced me with your eloquent words."

"I'm not telling you to love him. But I think you should accept his apology and let things go. Put this in the past." Booth leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "And don't worry. I intend on taking my own advice."

Jared leaned forward. "Move toward the future, right?"

Booth looked at his brother. "Yeah."

"Like... falling in love," Jared said. The comment was very suggestive of what he'd seen earlier that morning.

Booth laughed. "Yeah. Like falling in love."

"Tempe's a passionate woman."

"Damned straight."

Jared's teasing face disappeared. He grew serious. "Tanya's pregnant."

Booth looked at Jared. "Woah. Didn't expect that one."

"Me, neither."

"You realize that smoking isn't good for the baby, right?"

"Yeah. She's trying to quit." He shook his head. "She's all wrong for me."

Booth nodded. "I was thinking that. You're usually into dating scientists."

"You're not gonna hold that against me forever, right?"

"Maybe until you're dying. Then I'll let it go."

Jared grinned. "There's a lot more to Tanya than meets the eye. She's graduating next May with a nursing degree. She put herself through by herself. With her dancing career. Her dad's a truck driver and her mom is a manager at a restaurant."

"Wow," Booth mumbled. "I really didn't expect that."

"I'm, uh... I don't want to be like Dad."

"You don't have to be."

Jared drew in a shaking breath. "I'm joining a 12 Step Program. I can't... I can't be like him, Seeley. I can't let my son or daughter grow up hating me, fearing me, hiding in insulation just to get away from me." He blinked back a tear. "I just can't do it. I don't want to be like Dad."

Booth smiled. He reached out and put his hand on Jared's shoulder. "I'm proud of you, Jared."

The two men shared a smile. Jared stood up. "I should find Tanya." He moved to take a step, but turned around. "You know, that translates to your situation, too."

"Huh?"

"More than what meets the eye. That's probably true of a certain passionate, serious, scientist lady. Whatever I saw earlier--or didn't see-- It wasn't an accident, Seeley." Jared put his hands in his pockets and took several steps.

"Oh, hey, Jared." Jared turned. "Congratulations."

Jared grinned and walked away.
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by raklx Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:28 am

I so love this one!!!

want mooooore!!!love it! love it! love it! Laughing

it's awesome!!can't wait!!
raklx
raklx

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameomum Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:47 am

Yay--Jared's growing up. He was even a good brother telling Booth it wasn't an accident. Very good intermixed with the very tragic image of Mike--he hasn't become noble in death, just pathetic.

Cameomum
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by VentiGirl Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:22 am

love this sweeter view of the booth boys
VentiGirl
VentiGirl
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:00 am

I didn't have time to post a review until now, but let me tell you, that I love the story so far!
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3762
Say What You Want : don't provoke the lunatic!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:24 am

Oh Jared is gonna be a dad too.....
I never liked their father but that was just too much.....he is dying and still an asshole.....I can't believe he can have a son like Seeley Booth....

Can't wait to read more!
PPS!

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:27 am

Thank you for all of the reviews! Very Happy

Part XIII

Brennan sipped her cup of hot tea. She didn't quite know what to say to Anne. She never felt very comfortable in those situations and goodness knows whenever she did try to open her mouth, things never did come out the way she meant. So she said nothing.

Jared walked into the cafeteria and sauntered over to where the three women were sitting. "Hey, how are you doing, Mom?"

Anne lowered her cup and nodded before speaking, "I'm doing fine, sweetheart."

Jared kissed Anne on the forehead. "I'm taking Tanya home so she can get a nap in before our shift."

Anne waved her hand. "No need for that, honey. I'm going to sit with your father today."

"Mom... You need to get a nap in."

"I slept on the couch for a few hours. I'll just take another nap and I'll be good as gold."

Jared nodded. He knew she didn't want to be away from Mike if he was going to die soon. "I'll come and relieve you around dinner time."

"Jare--"

"At least so you can get some dinner."

"OK. I suppose I'm no good if I'm starving."

Tanya took her purse and stood.

"Alright. I'll see you later tonight, Mom."

Brennan watched as Tanya walked away. She must have looked thoughtful because Anne asked, "What are you thinking about, honey?"

"Oh... It's none of my business."

Anne smiled. "Tanya's pregnant."

Brennan studied Anne before speaking, "Did she tell you?"

"No. Some things a woman just knows. How'd you know?"

"I noticed several physical indicators."

"Well, my reasoning's not so scientific, I'm afraid." Anne wrapped her hands around the mug and leaned forward a bit. And for a fraction of a second, Brennan felt strangely at ease. It was like a diner talk, but with Anne instead of Booth. "First, she turned down bacon at breakfast."

"I turned down the bacon."

Anne scrunched her chin. "Nah. You didn't accept it. Tanya refused it." She smiled. "With Seeley, I had the worst morning sickness--well, what I thought was the worst, at the time. It ended at 20 weeks to the day. With Jared, I threw up once. All over my mother's hand-crocheted tablecloth. I felt so bad." They laughed. Brennan found herself wondering what that was like. She hadn't changed her mind about childbearing, but the whole process seemed fascinating. "And... and with Kevin... I had to be hospitalized from about eight weeks on. I couldn't even keep down water."

A half a minute passed before Brennan spoke. "Are you excited? It must be wonderful to know that you'll have another family member. Someone who is part of you... and you don't have to even try..." Brennan trailed off as she began to think about her parents.

Anne reached across the table and held onto Brennan's hand. "You don't have to share blood to be someone's family, Temperance." She smiled warmly. "I have a feeling that you have a lot more family than you're willing to put stock in. And yes... I can't wait to meet our new little baby. I just hope that he has Jared's temperament--he was such a sweet baby, never cried unless he really needed it-- And Seeley's ability to pick things up quickly. He was potty trained by two and he taught himself to tie his shoes. Such a smart boy."

Brennan smiled at the thought of a little Booth tying his own shoes. "Booth is still quite smart. He--" The look in her eyes became distant. "Always knows the right thing to say to the suspects we interrogate. Even with me... sometimes he knows what I'm about to say before I even say it."

Anne laughed. "That's my son."

Booth grinned as he came around the corner. His mother and Brennan were laughing and talking. It was a good sight. A perfect sight. The two women he loved most in the world in one room.

He pushed his hands into his pockets and strode up to the women. "Hey," he said rather quietly so as to not make either of them jump.

Brennan smiled up at him. "Hi, Booth."

"Hey, Bones."

Anne looked between the two of them. It didn't take her too long upon meeting Temperance that there was something between her son and she. She stood up. "I'm going to go sit with Mike. You kids go home and catch some Zs." She bent down, kissed Brennan on the cheek and patted Booth on the shoulder, then walked out of the cafeteria.

Booth grinned and walked up to Brennan, hands still in pockets. "Wow. You and Mom really are hitting it off."

Brennan stood and smoothed her shirt. "Your Mom is fascinating. She's very intelligent, too. I--" She stopped when she tried to decrypt what Booth was thinking. He was still grinning at her and slowly walking toward her. "What?"

He shrugged. "I like it." He reached Brennan and stopped. The grin dissipated. He kissed her cheek, letting his lips linger against her cheek a little more than necessary. "Thanks, Bones," he whispered into her ear.

"For what?"

"For everything." His breath tickling her neck was like throwing gasoline on a fire. It didn't take long before she turned her head... just enough so that her lips were within range of his and there would be no denying what that signal meant. He slid his hand up her arm and behind her neck.

"Eeew!" They both turned their faces in the direction of the noise. A little boy in blue Batman pajamas and a bandanna that covered his bald head was standing not two feet away from them. He was completely grossed out by the two people who were about to kiss. "Don't you know about germs?"

His mother ran up to the boy and grabbed his hand. "Sam! Sorry," she said to the couple. "We're still working on manners, apparently."

The two walked toward the breakfast buffet, leaving Booth and Brennan alone once again. As alone as you can get in a hospital cafeteria.

Booth laughed and shrugged. "It's fate, Bones."

"I don't believe in fate." She stepped into him, placed her hands on either side of his face and kissed him. Passionately. Borderline-disgustingly. But definitely hotly.

Booth stumbled away from the kiss, taking a step back and looking completely taken aback. Brennan looked calm and completely proud of herself.

"Um... So... there's this place."

"What are you saying?" She asked.

"Uh, breakfast, Bones. I know a place that makes the world's best pancakes."

Brennan picked up her purse and they began to make their way out of the cafeteria. "How do you know they're the world's best? Have you gone around the world sampling pancakes?"

"Do you always have to question what I say, Bones?"

"Only when I find fault in your facts or logic."

Booth shook his head. "You're a pain in the ass."

She glared at him in a teasing way.

"A very sexy ass, might I add," he said in a voice just low enough for her to hear. Then he reached out and did something he'd been dying to do again for going on two years. He smacked it.
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:35 am

More?

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Back to top Go down

Post by VentiGirl Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:05 am

glad to hear from you today Mama. hope all is well. pps
VentiGirl
VentiGirl
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by raklx Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:14 am

loved the interaction between anne and brennan,it was great how with different knowledge they knew that tanya was pregnant...

More!!Always more! Laughing
raklx
raklx

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks!!! Very Happy

Part XIV

Anne had curled up on the couch in Mike's room. She snored softly, her head resting on the arm of the couch. Tanya and Jared were talking in low tones, trying to keep from waking everyone. Brennan was thumbing through a medical journal loaned to her by Dr. Sweeney.

Booth opened the door and held up a pack of playing cards. "Thank goodness for overpriced hospital gift shops, huh?" He sat down next to Brennan. "Crazy Eights?"

She eyed him. "Crazy what?"

Jared grinned and slid forward on his seat. "Oh, you're asking for it, Seeley."

"What is he asking for?" Brennan was lost.

"He's asking for a nasty red welt on his hand. That's what he's asking for, Tempe."

"I don't know what you two are talking about."

Tanya grinned. "Crazy Eights, honey. You know... the game?"

She did not know. And it was obvious.

"Fine, you're on my team, babe. We're gonna lay a smack-down on these guys like you've never seen." Tanya pulled up a chair next to her and patted it.

"How do I play?"

Booth and Jared pulled up the little coffee table into the middle of their group. "What you need, Bones, is quick reflexes."

"That's it?"

"That's it."

"Woah, I'm not playing if Tempe's playing," Jared cut in. "She's gonna kick my ass. I won't be able to use my hand for a week."

"Baby," Booth muttered, grinning.

"I'm... still not completely clear on the rules."

"I'll deal the cards. Everyone lays down a card. If you see an eight, you slap the pile. Whoever's on the bottom gets the stack. If you run out of cards, you're out of the game." Booth began to shuffle the cards.

"There doesn't seem to be any logical integrity to the game."

Booth smiled at her. "Some things don't require logic, Bones."

The look they shared made Jared squirm. "Let's just play, guys."

"Alright, who goes first?"

"Ladies first," Booth said.

"Show off," Jared muttered, smiling.

Tanya laid down a Queen for the ladies. The cards were laid down around the circle with no particular action until Jared tossed an eight into the pile. Brennan smacked his hand before the card even hit the pile.

"Yow!" He pulled his hand back quickly. It was bright red and hurt like hell. "Holy hell, Tempe!"

"Dang, Bones. Nice reflexes."

Brennan straightened her posture, completely proud of herself and took the pile of cards, adding them to Tanya's and her collection.

The cards were thrown down in the circle. Tanya threw down an eight on the next round. Once again, Brennan slapped her hand down and earned the ladies twelve more cards.

On the next round, it was a repeat of the first one. Brennan smacked her hand out, slapping Jared's before he had a chance to retrieve it. "Dammit! Ouch!"

Brennan grinned.

On the final round, Booth was the one who threw down the fatal Crazy Eight card. Both of their hands hit the eight at the same time.

They froze, neither knowing who the true winner was.

"It's mine, Booth."

"No, Bones. See how my thumb is a little bit below yours. That proves that mine was the first to touch the eight."

"My right proximal phalange is just slightly beneath yours, so it was obviously my win."

"I don't think so, Bones."

"We should play a round. Just you and me. Whoever gets that, wins all."

"You sure sound confident in yourself, Bones."

"I am quite confident, yes. I know that I'm going to beat you."

"Careful, Bones, I might like that."

Jared cleared his throat. "Let's just call it a tie, huh?"

Brennan: "I don't like ties."

Booth: "She doesn't like ties."

Jared groaned.

"You know, Bones, you ever hear of a Peace Treaty?"

"The rate of failure of Peace Treaties is disturbingly high." Brennan crossed her arms.

Booth grinned. "You're bull-headed."

She scrunched her forehead and touched her face.

"It means you're stubborn."

She smiled. "Rematch."

At that moment, Anne sat up abruptly.

Booth glanced over at her momentarily, then he looked back to Brennan, then back at Anne once again. "Mom, are you OK?"

She looked pale and her cheeks were tinged with red. "I'm not... I'm not feeling very good," she said in a low tone.

Jared and Booth stood up from their seats and went to their mother. "What's wrong?"

"I..." She breathed in and out slowly. "I'm having chest pain."

Tanya hit the call button on Mike's bed.

"Does your left arm hurt?' Jared asked.

"Women often experience unusual symptoms when they have heart attacks," Brennan said. "That's one reason why heart disease is the number one killer of women. You should just sit back, Anne. Don't stand up."

A nurse walked into the room. "Is everything OK in here?"

"My Mom's having chest pain," Booth explained.

The nurse immediately stuck her head into the hallway. "Can I get a wheelchair in here?!"

Another nurse came in and within a few seconds, Anne was being wheeled down the hall and into another room.
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by VentiGirl Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:40 pm

Oh no not the mom! didn't see that one coming
VentiGirl
VentiGirl
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum