Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emily speaking at benefit for Turkeys

+2
THX1138
bailey
6 posters

Go down

Emily speaking at benefit for Turkeys Empty Emily speaking at benefit for Turkeys

Post by bailey Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:20 am

Video from 2008, but I'd never seen it, and I love her speech. It was for Farm Sanctuary, I assume near the holiday season of 2008. As much as I love Emily, this video makes me less sad that I'll never have Thanksgiving dinner with her ... I imagine she'd make me feel quite guilty. As much as I admire Emily for being vegan, I'm not sure I could ever go all the way. Maybe some day.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Last edited by bailey on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 811
Say What You Want : "You just had a rebound. Yeah, which don't get me wrong can be a really fun distraction. But, when it's over, you're left thinking about the girl you really like, the one that broke your heart."

~ Jim Halpert
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Emily speaking at benefit for Turkeys Empty Re: Emily speaking at benefit for Turkeys

Post by THX1138 Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:03 am

bailey wrote:Video from 2008, but I'd never seen it, and I love her speech. It was for Farm Sanctuary, I assume near the holiday season of 2008. As much as I love Emily, this video makes me less sad that I'll never have Thanksgiving dinner with her ... I imagine she'd make me feel quite guilty. As much as I admire Emily for being vegan, I'm not sure I could ever go all the way. Maybe some day.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Yeah, I hear ya' there. I know some folks around here are Vegetarian and we've got a few resident Vegans (Meegs, where are you?) and I tend to go veg once or twice a year myself for a couple of weeks at a time (sort of a self cleansing thing) but being vegan takes a level of comittment that's just not in me. I tried it at lent and I seemed to fall off the wagon about once a week, though I did eat much healthier for those 40 days.

Lacto/ovo veg I could deal with, I'd have eggs and dairy so the only thing I'd really miss is bacon, oh and Turkey around Thanksgiving time...and steak, roast beef, pork chops, lamb chops...see this is why I never made it as a vegan. *shakes head* Still, kudos to Em. I do love her for the genuine-ness of her beliefs. She's not a Hollywood vegan, she's a vegan who happens to work in Hollywood.

king RM

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Emily speaking at benefit for Turkeys Empty Re: Emily speaking at benefit for Turkeys

Post by bailey Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:49 am

THX1138 wrote: Yeah, I hear ya' there. I know some folks around here are Vegetarian and we've got a few resident Vegans (Meegs, where are you?) and I tend to go veg once or twice a year myself for a couple of weeks at a time (sort of a self cleansing thing) but being vegan takes a level of comittment that's just not in me. I tried it at lent and I seemed to fall off the wagon about once a week, though I did eat much healthier for those 40 days.

Lacto/ovo veg I could deal with, I'd have eggs and dairy so the only thing I'd really miss is bacon, oh and Turkey around Thanksgiving time...and steak, roast beef, pork chops, lamb chops...see this is why I never made it as a vegan. *shakes head* Still, kudos to Em. I do love her for the genuine-ness of her beliefs. She's not a Hollywood vegan, she's a vegan who happens to work in Hollywood.

king RM

king RM

Yes, before I really knew a lot about Emily and heard she was vegan, my first was reaction, was "oh, one of those" -- meaning one of those celebrities who jumps on a different band wagon every week or so. Learning that she's been vegan since high school and is so committed to animal rights and everything else that goes with this lifestyle really upped my level of respect for her.

I haven't drank cow's milk in years, I prefer Soy Milk ... but other than that, I haven't really tried to restrict meat/dairy products. But these days, thanks to listening/reading interviews with Emily, I seem to spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm eating and where it comes from. When you realize everything vegans don't eat, wow, I really admire them, it has to be a VERY hard commitment to substain. Not sure I could ever do it, although I may try some day.
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 811
Say What You Want : "You just had a rebound. Yeah, which don't get me wrong can be a really fun distraction. But, when it's over, you're left thinking about the girl you really like, the one that broke your heart."

~ Jim Halpert
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 192630 Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:28 pm

I don't necessary have Emily's beliefs, but I admire her passion for supporting hers.

Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Brain&Heart Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:35 pm

She makes me feel so guilty when i watch clips of her talking about being vegitarian/vegan and the way animals are treated. I know i could never go vegan but i would like to go vegitarian.... but i know i will just end up starving because im just so fussy. One day maybe. I always think when i move out maybe i will.
I just really admire her for sticking to what she believes in, and doing what she can for the cause.
Brain&Heart
Brain&Heart
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2010-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by sparklyshoes Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:43 pm

bailey wrote:
THX1138 wrote: Yeah, I hear ya' there. I know some folks around here are Vegetarian and we've got a few resident Vegans (Meegs, where are you?) and I tend to go veg once or twice a year myself for a couple of weeks at a time (sort of a self cleansing thing) but being vegan takes a level of comittment that's just not in me. I tried it at lent and I seemed to fall off the wagon about once a week, though I did eat much healthier for those 40 days.

king RM

king RM

Yes, before I really knew a lot about Emily and heard she was vegan, my first was reaction, was "oh, one of those" -- meaning one of those celebrities who jumps on a different band wagon every week or so. Learning that she's been vegan since high school and is so committed to animal rights and everything else that goes with this lifestyle really upped my level of respect for her.

I haven't drank cow's milk in years, I prefer Soy Milk ... but other than that, I haven't really tried to restrict meat/dairy products. But these days, thanks to listening/reading interviews with Emily, I seem to spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm eating and where it comes from. When you realize everything vegans don't eat, wow, I really admire them, it has to be a VERY hard commitment to substain. Not sure I could ever do it, although I may try some day.

So true - although I'm a meat-eater, I also find myself questioning why sometimes after reading so much about Emily and her beliefs. I haven't got up the courage to give it up yet, but maybe the fact that we are all noting the issue is half the battle - at least none of us can say we are ignorant of the situation and I think Emily would be pleased with that level of impact.

sparklyshoes
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 111
Say What You Want : "I want to punch the writers sometimes"
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Brain&Heart wrote:She makes me feel so guilty when i watch clips of her talking about being vegitarian/vegan and the way animals are treated. I know i could never go vegan but i would like to go vegitarian.... but i know i will just end up starving because im just so fussy. One day maybe. I always think when i move out maybe i will.
I just really admire her for sticking to what she believes in, and doing what she can for the cause.

I know what you mean. I decided to become a vegetarian last year and at first I honestly was like..."i'm gonna starve to death" it was....definitely hard because I was such a picky eater. It really expanded my horizons. The only thing I flat out refuse to try now are mushrooms and I'm sticking to that! lol Mad

I do feel guilty that I'm not a vegan though sometimes. A part of me feels (and has always felt) like....'what's the point of being a vegetarian for the animals if you wear leather and fur.' it was very hard for me to grapple with that at first. I've read a bunch of Emily interviews and she said it took her two years to go vegan and that people shouldn't be too hard on themselves when deciding to do one or the other. She doesn't seem like the type who would want to kill you if you bought shoes that were made of leather.

I don't intentionally not eat milk and and eggs. But, I'm sensitive to dairy so...aside from the clothes I guess I might as well be a vegan. I think it does make me a bit more conscious of what I buy. Once and awhile I'll skip the leather purse and get a fake leather (AND CHEAPER) one instead. I guess in the end that's the important thing...that thought goes into it. It would kind of defeat the purpose to be a vegan just for show and not really care why you were doing it.

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down