Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cross Roads (complete)

+5
jagglebells
BrainySmurf0302
geraghtyvl
Bonesbabe
dawn
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Cross Roads (complete) Empty Cross Roads (complete)

Post by dawn Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:41 am

Cross Roads

They'd just finished up a case, and were on their way back to D.C. They had a long night of paper work still ahead of them. They were passing thru one of the many small towns that surrounded D.C.

"Hey Bones, isn't that the carnival Russ works for?" nodding his head towards sign advertising about a local carnival in town.

"Yes, that's the one." she confirmed it.

"Let's stop and say HI." he glanced t her, "you haven't seen Russ in a while."

"A few months, Booth." she looked at her watch, "its getting late, and we still have paperwork to do."

"Let's do it in the morning." he turned off the highway, and glanced at her. "Come one Bones, whata ya say?" as he pulled to a stop, and giving her his best pout. She looked over at him, his lower lip jutted out, he was giving her his puppy dog face. She rolled her eyes making him grin at her.

"Come on Bones, live a little." turning on his charm. She could never resist that.

"Fine, Booth." annoyed with herself. She was victim of Sealy Booth's grin, everytime he used it as a weapon against her.

He gave her a big smile, "I'll even hold your hand on the Ferris Wheel, Bones, when you get scared."

"I'm not scared of heights Booth." but the thought of holding his hand did have some appeal for her.

"Have you ever road a Ferris Wheel?"

"Not since I was a little girl. My dad used to take us." she smiled remembering, "my mom loved to go."

He pulled into the parking lot designated for the carnival, "we're here Bones." he pulled his keys and jumped out, went around and opened her door. He gave her his arm as they walked between the parked cars, heading for the front gate.

A small line of people where standing in line to pay admission into the park."Hey Booth, perhaps you need me to hold your hand when you get scared." she nodded her head gesturing to the front of the line. A clown stood up front at the gate working the admissions counter, exchanging money for tickets.

"Very funny Bones, I'm not afraid of clowns, I just don't like them." he glared at the clown, as they advanced thru the line. She made no comment, when she felt his hand reach for hers. He bought their tickets, without a word to the clown, who told them to enjoy the carnival.

"Come on Bones, let's go find Russ." he pulled her by the hand, and drug her into the crowd.

Last edited by dawn on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total

dawn
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2010-03-24

Back to top Go down

Cross Roads (complete) Empty Re: Cross Roads (complete)

Post by dawn Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:11 pm

She'd always loved Booth's child like enthusiasm for the things he loved in life. Christmas, birthdays, hockey, and she could now add carnivals to that list.

"When I was a kid, the carnival came to town, once a year" Booth looked around smiling, "Pops always took us. I saved my allowance all year around for it."

"Your grandfather let you?"

"He figured it was my money, I earned it. Once, I blew my entire piggy bank trying to win a stuffed animal for a girl."

"Did you win it?"

"Nah, I wasn't strong enough." She found that hard to believe, the look on her face was skeptical.

"No really Bones, I was twelve, and this older girl named Melanie wanted this stuffed animal, so I tried to win it for her. I spent every dime I had on that stupid stuffed animal."

"and you didn't win?" she asked

"No, but I kept trying. I even got Jarod to give me his money."

"You must have really liked that girl."

"I thought I did. I remember she had the most beautiful blue eyes." he added, as he looked straight ahead, "I did everything I could to impress her."

"Did she notice?"

"Sometimes, I thought so." he paused, "and other's times not so much."

"She must have been a really stupid girl, Booth."

"Not stupid, Bones, just oblivious." he looked at her, "she dumped me for another guy." he paused, "he was a older than me, and much bigger. He ended up winning her that stupid stuffed animal."

"Melanie didn't know what she was missing out on Booth." she looked at him, linking her arm in his, "you are the strongest, bravest man I know. It's Melanie's loss." she nodded her head to emphasize her point.

"It's okay Bones, I was twelve." loving the fact she was defending him.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:46 pm

"Look Bones, a shooting star." he pointed up, "make a wish." as he closed his eyes and made his.

She smiled at him, "I don't believe..." he cut her off.

"Just this once, Bones, go with it." he paused, "for me. He squinted his eyes at her, "we're sitting on top of a Ferris Wheel, and you want to go all squinty on me."

"Fine, for you I will make a wish. Okay, I made a wish, are you happy now?"

"You got to close your eyes, and concentrate." he sighed, "really make a wish, Bones, just don't say you did." he eyed her suspicously. "Go ahead." he watched her closely.

"Sorry, I didn't know there was protocol for making wishes." she closed her eyes, and thought about it, and made her wish. As she concentrated she heard a faint sounds of chimes. At that moment, the wind picked up, and made an eerie whistleing noise, it seemed to swirl around them rocking their car to and fro, "did you hear that?" she opened her eyes and listened, her grip tightend in his hand.

"Just the wind Bones." she felt his hand tighten around hers, something was off. She couldn't put her finger on it, couldn't explain it, but she felt it. She knew he felt it too. All the sudden she felt the urge to get off this ride.

He looked down, "we're getting off next." and not too soon, he couldn't shake the creepy vibe he was feeling. As the Ferris Wheel reached the bottom, and their car door was unlatched, "Come on Bones, there's something I gotta do." dragging her by the arm he led her to a row of carnival games. "Remember that story I told you about." he looked at her, "the one about spending my piggy bank trying to win her a stuffed animal." she nodded, as he drug her to stand in front of a game.

"It was this game." he walked over to the man in charge, pulling out his wallet.

"Booth, what are you doing?"

"I'm going to win, Bones." as the man handed him back his change. Booth walked out in the front of the booth.

"See Bones, this is the strong man. You take this sledge hammer, and you pound it here, sending the weight sliding up to the top to ring the bell. And then you win." he smiled at her, as he propped the sledge hammer on his shoulder. "and you can pick a prize."

"You don't have to do this for me Booth, I already know how strong you are."

"It's not for you, Bones, its for me. Now, stand back, I don't want to hit you again." Remembering when he smacked her in the eye.

She took a step back, and watched Booth situate himself, testing the weight of the sledge hammer. He swung it over his back, took a deep breath, and with all of his strength brought it down, shooting the weight sky high, ringing the bell on the first try. Lights and sounds lit up around them, proclaiming him a winner.

"Wow," the man said, "usually it takes a couple of tries." he gestured with his arm, "you know what you want?" Many different stuffed animals lined the shelves. "Perhaps the pretty lady would like a Scooby Doo?" she shook her head, "how about a Tweety bird?" she shook her head again.

"She wants the one on the end." Booth said, pointing to a far corner.

"That's a lesser prize, she can have a big one."

Booth shook his head, "she'll take that one." insisting on the one in the corner. The man walked to the shelf and reached for the one Booth was pointing at, "Here ya go, Miss." handing it to her.

Bones gasp in delight, she hadn't even seen this on shelf, "Smurfette Booth?"

He nodded at her, enjoying her surprise, taking her hand, "come on Bones, let's go find your Brother."

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Together they walked down the board walk, the gamers calling out to them, beckoning them to try to win another prize. Content to keep walking, and happy to be in her company, he ignored them, taking in the atmosphere, he stopped and lifted his face into the wind, "do you smell that Bones?"

"What?"

"Funnel cake."

"I take it, you like funnel cake?"

A look of shock, "You don't?"

"I don't know. I don't think I've ever tried one."

A determined look crossed his face, "Well, let's fix that right now." He pulled her up to a booth, and stood in line, never releasing her arm.

A wind picked up, a news paper blew down the walk, rolling in the wind, "did you hear that?" she asked him, lifting her head up, tilting her head, listening.

The line moved, they were next. "Hear what, Bones?"

"Sounded like chimes." she said.

"One please." Booth said to girl inside the booth, as he reached for his wallet. "Sorry, Bones, I didn't hear anything." he thanked the girl.

"Okay, Bones, try this." He broke off a piece, "it's hot."

"It is good Booth." she smiled at him, "I want another piece."

"I told you, you'd like it." he looked down, "Bones you have a bit of....sugar." she looked at him. He touched the corner of her lips with his fingers, their eyes made contact for a long moment, the world around them falling away.

Booth was fighting the urge to lean in, "excuse me." a kid bumped into them, and broke their spell. "Come on Bones, let's keep walking." and took a bite of their funnel cake.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesbabe Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:54 pm

i am really liking this so far Smile looking forward to more

Bonesbabe
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 am

He linked her arm in his as they walked, "Have you ever road the Tilt a Whirl, Bones?" he gestured to the ride in front of them.

She looked up at ride, "I have not, Booth." she eyed the machinery, "not sure that I want to."

"OH, come on Bones, you can't go thru life without riding the Tilt a Whirl." he pulled her by the arm, "what do ya say? It'll be fun." he looked down at her, "you can hold my hand if you scared." he added with a grin.

"It doesn't look very safe Booth." she eyed the moving parts, "it looks really old."

"Of course its really old, Bones, its a traveling carnival." he pulled her forward, to stand in line. "Live a little, Bones. "

"I don't know Booth."

"Are you scared of a little ride? Look over there, there's two kids getting on, they aren't scared. They look pretty happy to ride it."

"Of course they are, their kids."

"Look, Bones, this ride doesn't even go upside down. It just circles around, no big deal at all." he tugged her arm, "come on Bones, we're next."

"I don't know Booth,"

"Don't be a chicken." he held up his hand, "and you know what that means." he tugged her along, as he handed two tickets to the attendent.

"I am not afraid, Booth." he led the way, around to the empty car.

Lifting the bar, "Ladies first." as she slipped in. He followed behind her.

"I don't know about this Booth." she sounded concerned.

"Just hold my hand, Bones, and have fun," he grinned at her. He reached across and behind her, pulling the seatbelt across her lap, and connecting it with his. "Its safe enough, we have the seatbelt, and the safety bar, it'll be fun, trust me, Bones."

At that moment, the ride began to move, slowly at first, "You doing okay Bones?" he asked her.

"THis isn't so bad." she looked up at him.

The speed of the ride was starting to pick up, he felt her hand reach for his, "your doing great Bones," he gave her a boost of confidence. The momentum increased, and with each rotation, the ride dipped in the middle, dropping their stomaches. Booth reached around her and pulled her to his side holding her against him, her hand clutched his. The speed increase, throwing her into him, the gravitational pull forcing her to slide tight into his side. She felt his arm slide around her, making her feel secure. She felt the ride start to slow, and the pressure holding her against Booth began decrease, until the ride came to a stop.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" he asked her, as the attendent raised their bar.

"Not bad at all, Booth, it was fun." she smiled up at him, "let's ride it again."

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:57 pm

"You were right Booth, that was fun." she said as they exited the ride for the third time.

"You sure you don't want to ride it again?" he looked down into her smiling face.

"Threes good, Booth." she looked around, "I am kind of thirsty."

"Right this way, Bones." he led her to a booth that was selling drinks "what do you want?"

She looked up at the list of choices, "I'll take a bottle of water." She stepped back, allowing Booth to move forward. There it was again, she tilted her head listening.

Booth walked to her and handed her a water, "Did you hear that?" He looked at her.

"What?"

"It was chimes." she took a swig off her bottle of water. "there it is again." her voice rose an octive, "you didn't hear that?" she questioned him, raising her hand before he could answer "there it is again, louder." she pulled him by the arm, "follow me."

She led him thru the crowd, dodging people, walking past booths and tents, and every once in a while, she would stop and listen. Tilting her head, trying to guage the direction of the chimes. "This way." pulling him along behind her.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:05 am

"See, I told you I heard wind chimes." she pointed straight ahead.

"So, you did Bones."

They hung on a post dangleing in the wind, dancing to and fro with each little gust of wind,. Beside the post, was a large brightly colored tent. But unlike all the other tents they'd seen, and walked by, this one was closed, making it unable to see inside.

"What kind of booth do you think this is?" Booth wondered aloud.

"Hello." a voice said from behind them, giving both of them a start. "You wish to have your fortune's read?" she asked them in a heavy accent.

Both of them turned to her. She was a beautiful dark haired woman, with a scarf covering the top of her head. Bangles jingled at her wrists, and long earrings dangeled from he ears. She turned to them both, arching a brow over her dark eyes,"Yes?" she asked.

"Bones, we've got to do this." Booth looked at her.

"Booth, I don't believe in this kind of thing."

"I didn't say you had to believe in it. Come on, Bones, let's do it." he pleaded with her, throwing out his best puppy dog look.

"Fine." she sounded annoyed.

"My name is Marisqe." she moved to stand in front of them. "Come with me." she bowed her head slightly, she lifted the corner of the tent flap, and gestured for them to go inside.

A wave of peculiar smoke assailed them as they entered. The interier was dimly lit, casting the all the corners of the tent, into the shadows. Beautiful scarves decorated the interior.

"Please take a seat." she pointed to the chairs that were stationed on one side of a small round table. "Madame Nadya will be with you shortly."

"Your not the fortune teller?" Brennan asked.

"Alas, no, my Grandmother is. But, I asure you she has many skills, she sees many things, and has much knowledge. You won't be disappointed." she moved towards the back of the tent, "I will return in a few minutes." and she disappeared.

Brennan leaned into Booth's ear, "You don't really believe in this, do you?" she whispered.

"Bones, leave the scientist outside the tent, and just have fun. Just go with it." he looked at her, "now shhhhhhh, she'll hear you."

Brennan rolled her eyes at Booth, fine, she'd "go with it."

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:07 am

They heard a rustleing noise coming from the rear of the tent, felt a breeze blow thru, heard the tinkleing of the wind chimes as an ancient women, hobbleing on an old walking stick came forward. They could not see her face, a scarf was tied around her head, and knotted under her chin. Her face was down cast, as if measureing each painful step she was taking. Her loose tunic dragging behind her. She, like her granddaughter, was adorned with jewelry, shiny stones on her fingers, a huge round gem stone hung around her neck, winking in the soft candlelight, swaying slightly to and fro with each step she took.

She made no noise, but to whisper something to her granddaughter, who was hovering by her side. Her granddaughter nodded her head, and gave her her arm, leading her to her chair. Step by step, she slowly made her way to her chair. Reaching out with a gnarled hand, she grasped the edge of the table, and seated herself into the chair. She wheezed in a deep breath, and lifted her head, seeming to stare at them both. She lifted a hand, her joints obscenely swollen and misshapen, and said something incoherant to her granddaughter.

"What's she speaking?" Booth whispered to Brennan.

"Not sure, maybe Romanian." she answered.

Marisqe looked up, "We are of Romanian descent, my grandmother is from a long line of seerers." she bowed her head slightly. "She has seen many things in her life." she laid a gentle hand of her shoulder, and whispered to her. "I will speak for my grandmother, English does not come easily for her."

Brennan looked closely at the old women, thinking that this might be the oldest living person she'd ever met. "How old is your grandmother?" she asked.

Booth gasped, "Bones, its rude to ask someone their age."

Marisqe waved her hand at Booth, "my grandmother is not offended, by her question." she translated for grandmother, who cackled, showing several gaps in her teeth. "she is proud of her age." she paused, "but the truth is we don't know exactly how old she is. She was born in a small village in Romania. They did not keep records, but we believe she is close to a hundred."

Brennan gazed into her face, noticeing her irises clouded over with white, and the whites of her eyes were yellowed. Wrinkles wreathed her face, but she could tell from her bone structure that she was once as beautiful as her granddaughter.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:21 pm

The old woman closed her eyes, and leaned forward, tilting her head, as if listening for something.

The anthropologist in Brennan was completely intrigued. She had done a paper of gypsy culture during grad school, and this was almost as good as observing her subjects in their native culture. She decided to throw herself into this, for anthropological reasons, of course. She might not ever have an opportunity to observe such a woman again.

As Brennan watched, she could see the woman's eyes darting back and forth, beneath her closed eyeslids. The woman swayed slightly from side to side, her heavy necklace swinging with her. Her hands clenched, and unclenched, her head tilting one way, then the other. Without warning , the woman opened her eyes, and seemed to stare straight into Brennan's. The hairs on the back of her neck seem to stand straight up.

Booth felt her reach for his hand under the table. In fear, he wasn't sure, but he knew she was definately uncomfortable. He stroked her hand, giving her comfort, trying to put her at ease.

A cool breeze seem to blow thru the tent, candles flickered, throwing odd shadows against the walls of the tent, the mournful sound of chimes the only sound. The woman continued to stare at her, without moving or saying a word. Her clawlike hand reached up, and wrapped around the stone suspended around her neck, stroking it. Her lips moved slightly, though her voice could not be heard. The stone she held in her hand, caught the candlelight, giving it a eerie glow, as her fingers moved against it.

Her eyes turned towards Booth. Her lips moved again, she swayed slightly, her head leaning towards Booth. Without warning, the old lady cackled out loud, showing them her gap tooth smile. She pointed to Booth, and said something, neither understood.

Her granddaughter looked at Booth. "Nadya says she needs something of meaning to you."

"Of meaning?" he asked.

"Something that is special to you."

Booth reached in his pocket and pulled out a variety of things, and layed them on the table.

One by one, the old lady picked up the objects. His lucky coin, she held in her hand for a second, she sneared at it, moved it off to the side, and picked up the next object, his naked lady pen. Again she sneared, and moved on to the next object, and then the next. She shook her head, and said turned to her granddaughter, rattleing off a few words.

Marisqe looked at Booth, "you have something else?"

Booth thought about it, he let go of Brennan's hand, scooted his chair back, and stood up. He reached down, and with a flick of his hand he undid the snap that held his buckle on his belt, he laid it on the table in front of Nadya, as he sat back down.

Nadya reached out with her hand, and grasped his buckle, closed her eyes and smiled, as she nodded yes.

Marisqe turned to Brennan, "Now you."

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:41 am

Booth turned towards her. "Go ahead, Bones, give her something."

"This is ridiculous, Booth." she looked at him.

"Just give her something." he widened his eyes, silently telling her to do it.

She picked up her bag, that she'd slung over the back of her chair. Annoyed, she jerked the zipper open, rifleing around.

"Here." she slid something across the table.

"Lipstick, Bones?" he scoffed at her, looking annoyed by her choice.

"Its my favorite color." she defended her choice.

Nadya reached out, and picked it up, held it for a second and sneared, snapping out what could only be interperted as a "no".

"Try again." Booth directed at her.

"Here." she placed a silver pen on the table.

Nadya reached out for the pen, grasped it in her hand, and once again rejected it, this time turning to her granddaughter, she rattled off a few words, her displeasure apparent in her tone.

Marisqe turned towards her, "you have chosen poorly. These objects have no meaning for you."

"that's not true." she loved that lipstick, and the pen was a gift from...........she couldn't even remember. Booth was looking down at her, a look of annoyance on his face.

"Fine." She picked up her bag, and reached deep into it.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:25 am

She curled her hand around it, and slowly pulled it from the bag. She sat it down in the middle of the table, waiting for a comment from Booth.

When Booth saw her object, he tried his best not to smile, and he gave no comment.

Nadya hand reached out to the little blue figure centered in he middle of the table. Her gnarled hand closed over it. Her eyes closed for a few seconds, and she nodded her head, it would do.

Brennan glanced at Booth, wondering what he was thinking. His expression gave her no clues.

"Nadya will begin." her granddaughter stated.

Nadya reached out, and picked up Booth's buckle. She leaned back, closed her eyes. She began mumbleing words they couldn't undertand. Her head turned slowly from side to side, as if listening for something. A cool wind blew thru, candllight danced inside the tent, casting shadows over her face. Her eyes popped open wide, and words spewed forth.

"Nadya says you were a child born into strife."

The old lady made a humming noise in the back of her throat, and rattled off more.

"a child warrior." she looked at her grandmother. "protector of innocents."

Brennan looked over to Booth, who was caught up in the words, surely he didn't really believe in this.

"a child with faith." Marisqe continued, "even when broken." she added.

Nadya arched her back, her eyes widened, wrinkles overlapping on her forehead. Her shoulders swaying slightly from side to side. She whispered more words.

"a young man with heavy burdens." Marisqe continued. " and deep sorrows."

Nadya leaned forward one of her hands reached out, towards Booth, as she looked to her granddaughter. "take her hand."

Booth looked at Brennan, for the first time felt a little unsure. She reached across under the table and grasped his hand, giving him comfort this time. Bolstered by her touch, he reached out with his free hand and wrapped it around Nadya's. He felt her hand jerk in his, her nails digging into his flesh.

A strong gust of when blew threw tent, Nadya arched her back, crying out. The gust exstinguished the candles, casting the tent into darkness.

"Do not worry." Marisqe said beside them. She bent and lit a candle, and placed it on the table before them, giving illumination to Nadya's face who was leaned forward towards them, only inches away,staring unblinking at them, her lips moving, but making no sound.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:20 am

"Do not worry." Marisqe repeated as she bent and relit the candles, sensing their unease.

Booth watched as more candles were lit, and he could once again see around him. Nadya had leaned back in her chair, resting. The old woman looked exhausted. Her eyes were closed, her brow furrowed in deep creases. One hand stroked the gem suspended around her neck, the other hand gripping the table. They could see her eyes darting back and forth beneath her closed lids.

"Is she okay?" Booth asked her granddaughter.

"She will be." she cast a worried glance to Nadya. "She is old, sometimes readings can be very ....."she paused searching for a word, "....tireing."

"Maybe we should come back?" Brennan asked, sounding almost hopeful.

"She will be fine, I assure you."

Nadya muttered something, and opened her eyes. Her clouded eyes once again turning to Booth. Her hand reached out, and picked up his buckle, her fingers stroking the smooth surface. Her other hand tightening around the stone of her necklance. She began to mumble words.

"a young man's pain and anger," she sighed, "eclipsed only by faith." she paused, "and sacrifice given freely," Nadya smiled, "and love for a child."

Nadya reached across the table, seeking his hand. Without hesitation he reached across the table, and enclosed her hand in a gentle grip. She tilted her head towards him, closing her eyes, she mumbled words.

"your heart sings." Marisqe sighed waiting for her grandmother to continue, "it's song is unanswered." Nadya frowned, releasing his hand she leaned back, resting her head on the back of her chair. Her eyes closed, and her movements stilled, she looked very tired.

"Nadya will rest for a few minutes." her granddaughter said. "Perhaps you would care for some fresh air?"

"Let's get some air, Booth." Brennan stood up, and practically pulled Booth out of his chair, she flipped the flap open, and stepped out into the cool evening air.

Stepping outside, the carnival was in full swing, flashing lights, bells and whistles blowing, the sound of screaming riders, and those damn windchimes.

"Booth, your not really believing any of that?" she looked at him.

"Bones I told you, it was for fun."

"I saw the look on your face Booth. It's irrational to think anyone can tell the future."

"I know, there's no proof, right? What about the things she said?" he looked at her, "huh?"

"She probably has good deductive reasononing skills, and since she gave no specifics, the things she said could fit many people's circumstances."

"What about the kid part?"

"She probably looked at you, and figured a man your age would have a kid, Booth."

"I'm no doctor Bones, but I dont' think she can look at anything, I think she's blind."

"She's working with her granddaughter, Booth. She probably fills her in on details that she can't see herself."

"Guess we'll find out, when its your turn." he looked down at her.

"I don't think I'm..."

"Your not backing out." he looked at her.

"This whole scenerio is ridiculous."

"Your still not backing out." he said.

Marisqe appeared before them, "ready to continue?" she asked with a smile.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:50 pm

"Come on Bones."

She made the mistake of looking up into his eyes. Dratz.

"Fine." but she wasn't happy about it. She gave him an annoyed look.

"That look doesn't work on me." he said, as he followed behind her back into the tent, with a grin.

Nadya was sitting in her chair, leaned back with her eyes closed. She looked asleep, and completely relaxed. As they shuffled into the tent, she opened her eyes and smiled at them, and with her hand she waved them back into their chairs. She rattled off a quick sentence to her granddaughter.

"She would like to begin." Marisqe looked at Brennan. "You are uneasy?"

"I'm fine." Brennan answered.

She nodded her head, and touched her Grandmother's shoulder."

Nadya reached out, and picked up the little blue character, moving it from hand to hand, and began mumbleing.

Marisqe began, "A child born from a great love, but in deception." her head tilting to and fro, "joy and much happiness,"

Brennan was listening skeptically, but upon hearing the word joy, got her attention, and Booth's as well, she felt him slide his hand around hers.

"danger," Nadya hesitated, she lifted a hand to her necklance, wrapping a fist around the stone, "evil awaits," Nadya frowned, "joy is now sorrow." a tear trickled down Nadya's cheek. "a child lost forever." Nadya's shoulder's shuddered slightly, "always alone." she leaned back in her chair, her hand clutching her necklance, "a woman of means," she gave a little sigh, "driven and pursued." she let her pendent fall, "always alone." Nadya reached a hand across the table to Brennan.

Brennan looked at her hand, "Go ahead, take it." Booth encourage her, nodding his head. Uneasy, she reached out, and took Nadya hand.

Nadya closed her eyes, and leaned forward. "feats of courage," she continued on, "as danger is present yet," she paused, "a friendship is forged," she turned her head to Booth, "a link unbreakable, and strong..." Nadya dropped her hand, and leaned back, her eyes turned back to Brennan, "your past will determine your fate."

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:42 am

"Nadya has read your past, now she will read your future." Marisqe turned from them to her grandmother, touching her shoulder, she waited for her to begin, again.

Nadya turned to Brennan and gave her a pitying look, she began her mumble, as Marisqe spoke for her,"a crux lies in wait for you."

"A crux?" Booth repeated.

"It a latin word Booth, it means cross."

"I know what it means, Bones, I am Catholic."

"You must decide." Marisque interupted them, interperting for her grandmother.

"What must I decide?" Brennan thought she'd humor her.

"You must decide the path, which path you choose will determine your fate."

"You mean like a cross road." Booth said.

"Yes." Marisqe nodded.

Nadya murmured under her breath. "She says you have many path's in front of you." Nadya continued, "you choice will affect all those around you, your path will determine many others." Nadya nodded her head, and closed her eyes. Her rings flashed in the candlelight, her hand wrapped tightly around her pendant. "your choices have consequences, some happy," Nadya squeezed her eyes closed, a tear tracked down her wrinkly cheek, "some with great darkness," she shuddered." Nadya opened her eyes and looked at Brennan, "choose with great care." she tilted her head slightly as if listening to someone, "some mistakes cannot be undone."

"and you." she turned to Booth, "you have already chosen." she paused, "but your path will be determined by another's choice."

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Nadya turned to her granddaughter and rattled off a quick sentence. Marisqe turned to Booth, "my grandmother would like to read her future, but asks you to leave."

Booth looked at her, and turned to Brennan. "you okay with that?" he didn't want to leave.

Brennan looked at the old woman, and nodded her head at Booth, "It'll be fine." she watched Booth as he stood up, and glanced at her,

"It will be for just a few minutes", Marisqe assured him. With a last look at Brennen, he ducked out of the tent, closing the flap behind him.

Nadya squinted her eyes, and reached across the table reaching for Brennan's hand. Marisqe began, "I have seen things in your future, things yet to be determined, things that bring joy, and others that do not." she gave a deep sigh. "you are a learned woman, a woman of means, and great convictions, yet, "she paused again catching her breath, "and yet, you lack faith."

"I am a scientist, I don't believe in faith." Brennan answered back.

Nadya gave a sharp retort back, Marisqe gave her the words "you have faith in a man." she pointed her finger towards the tent flap.

"Trust is not the same thing as faith."

"your paths have crossed many times, and yet, your journey is still alone. Your time of chooseing draws near. Know the choice you make determines his path as well." She tilted her head, "your choice will bring many forks in your road, yet only one choice will determine your happiness," she paused, and bent her head towards Brennan's, "it will also determine his." she leaned back, "Trust in him, he is your faith."

"I don't know what that means."

Nadya answered her in a heavy accent, "You do." and she waved her hand, and said something to her granddaughter.

"She would like a few minutes with your friend, now."

Brennan stood up, and strode out, "Bones?"

"She wants to see you now." trying her best to sound normal.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:42 pm

Booth stepped back into the tent, letting the flap fall behind him. His eyes adjusted to the dim interier, as he made his way back to his chair.

Nadya was sitting, waiting for him, he'd barely sat down, when she started talking. "Grandmother says that you are a believer." she paused listening , "a man of faith who has lost something." she tilted her head, listening as Nadya continued, "a belief that surrounds you also causes you much sadness." Nadya nodded her head, "you must help your friend decide," she reached across the table for Booth's hand, she smiled, her eyes crinkling deep at the corners. "your friend, she has suffered greatly....and protects herself....from you."

Nadya leaned back in her chair, Booth's hand held firmly in hers. "Her heart is speaking, but falls on deaf ears, as she chooses not to listen. You must make her listen, her time draws near, her time to choose is coming."

"I don't understand." he said.

"I have seen your fates. I've seen hers, I've seen yours. And.......I've seen yours and hers together."

"Together?" he asked, sounding hopeful.

"Yes," she answered him, "together, I've seen much happiness for you, a family." she turned her head to her granddaughter, "I've also seen the other paths. The path to success for both of you, yet alone, filled with regret, and longing." her voice dropped an octave, "I've also seen danger for her, a mortal danger."

"She's not going to die?" Booth asked, Marisqe relaying his question.

Nadya answered, Marisqe spoke, "She can't see that, but there is something there, a great danger of some kind." Nadya cried out, "she says you must stop her."

Marisqe laid a hand on her Grandmother's shoulder, comforting her. She whispered gentle words to her, soothing her, as Booth watched them.

"She doesn't believe in this kind of thing." referring to Brennan, who was outside.

"We noticed." Marisqe translated for her grandmother, who graced him with a giant gap tooth grin. "But she believes in you. You are the one who can change it for her."

"Change what?' Booth asked.

"What will be, what won't be, it's up to you." Marisqe slid his belt buckle, and the little blue smurf across the table. He reached out, and picked their items up, holding them tight in his hand.

"Thank you." he said, standing up, reaching for his wallet.

"NO!" Nadya shook her head at him, pointing to his wallet.

"Grandmother said no." Marisque repeated to him, with a smile.

Booth looked from one to the other, "your sure?"

Nadya nodded her head, and gave him a little wave, as she got to her feet, and hobbled towards the back of the tent, her granddaughter by her side. Booth turned and walked out the front of the tent.

"You ready Bones?" he asked her.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by geraghtyvl Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:38 pm

I love this story!

geraghtyvl
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2010-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:34 am

"Well?" she asked him, as he ducked out of the tent.

"You ready?" he looked at her, he gave her his arm, she took it.

"I am." she answered him, "what did she tell you?"

"nothing really, you?"

"Not much." she nodded at him, "its not like its real anyway, nobody can see into the future." she gave him a half smile.

"Let's find your brother." he changed the subject all together.

They wondered around aimlessly while searching for Russ, taking in more of the sites, he won her another stuffed animal, he bought her a giant pretzel, and she made him ride the tilt a whirl, one more time.

"I love that ride Booth." she said smoothing her hair down, as they exited.

"Yea its alot of fun." he loved having her so close, tucked into his side.

"Tempe?" they both heard her name. "I thought that was you, what are you doing here?" Russ walked up behind them, throwing his arm around her, giving her a bear hug. "Booth." he extended his hand.

"We were driving thru, and decided to stop and say, Hi."

"great to see you guys." he smiled at them. "I'm just on my way to work, but I'll be here for a few days, you guys want to get together for dinner or something?"

"I'll call Dad, and we'll have dinner, tomorrow?" she asked

"Sounds good, Booth you come, too." Russ added, making note of how close they were standing, "I'll call Amy, and the girls, we'll make it a family affair."

"Yes, Booth, you come too." Brennan looked at him.

"I see you've been enjoying the carnival atmosphere?" Russ said. "Tempe always had a thing for Smurfette." referring to the stuffed smurf clutched in her hand.

"Booth won it for me." she smiled at Russ. "And he made me try funnell cake, and we rode the Tilt a Whirl, multiple times." she gave her brother a big smile, "had no idea carnivals were so fun."

"Don't forget about the fortune teller Bones." Booth added.

"Oh yea, we did that too."

"A fortune teller?" Russ asked.

"You know the old lady gypsy, and her granddaughter?" Booth added.

"Hate to tell you guys this, but we don't have a fortune teller." he said.

"Yes you do, Russ, we were just there." she pointed in the direction from which they had come. "big colorful tent, windchimes."

Russ just shook his head at her, "Follow me." she grabbed her brother by the arm, and dragged him in the direction of the tent. They passed the Tilt a Whirl, went past all the gaming booths, went past the food stands,finally reaching the area of the Fortune Teller's tent. "Right here............" her voice trailed off.

They looked around, a patch of dry dusty dirt was the only thing there. No signs of any kind to show them that anything had been there, at all. A breeze blew threw, empty wrappers and trash rolled through, a soda can rolled with the wind behind it. Even the post where the windchimes had hung, was gone.

"It was right here." Booth said, standing in the center of where the tent had been.

"I don't understand." Brennan looked completely confused.

"Let's get out of here, Bones." Although he wouldn't ever admit it to her, he was completely creeped out.

"I've got to go to work, but I'll see you guys tomorrow night." Russ bent and kissed her cheek, "Booth." and he was gone.

"Come on Bones." he pulled her by the hand, "Let's get back to D.C."

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:53 am

Booth picked up her up at the Jeffersonian. "You ready for dinner, Bones?" As he opened the door for her, and let her slide in.

"I'm ready, I called Dad, and he's meeting us there." she looked out the window, "did you get your paperwork caught up?"

"Completely, you?" she nodded her head at him. He manuevered into traffic, switching lanes smoothly, "why so quiet, Bones?" breaking the silence, after a few minutes. "Something on your mind?" he asked, glancing over at her.

She turned and looked at him, "I got a call today." she paused, "from Michael."

"Stires?" he looked at her as she nodded. "What the hell did he want?" his very name annoyed him.

She looked down at her hands, "He is putting together some people for a dig." she paused, "in South America."

Booth gritted his teeth, and jerked his blinker on, switching lanes again. He glanced over at her, "and........" he prompted her on.

"Apparantly they've found ancient remains of a race of people, that was previously unknown to exist. An extraordinary find, Booth." she looked at him.

"He wants you to go?" he looked over at her. She nodded. "Stires of all people."

"It's not personal Booth." she hadn't forgotten what he had done to her either. "strictly professional. I told Michael that."

"Yea, I'm sure he got the message." he gave her a look.

"Your useing sarcasm, aren't you?"

"We're here, let's just go enjoy dinner with your family, Bones." as he put the SUV in park. He got out, slamming the door a little harder, then he meant to, and walked around to her side.

"Booth?" she looked at him, as she slid out.

"Let's just eat, I'm hungry." and he gave her his arm, and led her in.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:52 am

"Honey." Max stood up, hugging his daughter. "Booth."

"Max." Booth, acknowleging him, as he pulled a chair out for Brennan. "Russ."

"Where's Amy and the girls." Brennan asked.

"She couldn't make it, she's throwing a baby shower for a friend. She said to tell everyone "hi." he said, as he sat back down in his chair.

"Girls are doing okay?" she asked.

"Thanks to you, Tempe, their all doing much better." he gave his sister a smile, forever grateful.

"I'm glad to hear that, Russ." giving her brother hand a squeeze.

"So, I guess you enjoyed the carnival last night?" Russ leaned back, and looked at them both.

"It was fun." Brennan answered him.

"Your mother always loved those things." Max sad, with a sad smile. "She loved loved taking you two."

"I remember Dad." Russ looked over at his dad.

Brennan looked at her dad, his eyes suspiciously shiney, "She loved the Ferris Wheel."

"Yes, she did honey." Max looked away and coughed. "So anything new?" he looked at Booth.

"I have some news." Brennan spoke up.

"Oh?" Max's brow raised in question, looking from one to the other.

"I've been offered a spot on a dig."

"Oh." Max's voice dropped in disappointment.

"It's in South America." she said, Max glanced at Booth, who hadn't said a word.

"When did this happen, honey?" he asked.

"I got a call this morning." she sighed, "it's a chance of a lifetime. Nothing like this has ever been found before. The best anthropologist in the world are all going to be there."

"That's wonderrful honey, but what about the Jeffersonian, and the FBI?"

"It'll only be for a few months, I can take a sabatical. I've already talked to Cam."

"When?" Booth asked her, reaching for his glass of water.

"Day after tomorrow." she answered.

Max was watching Booth, saw his jaw tighten. "Wow, honey, day after tomorrow?"

"Discoveries like this don't happen everyday, Dad. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity."

"Of course it is, honey. I'm just concerned for your safety, South America can be a dangerous place."

"I can take care of myself dad."

"I know you can."

"I"ll be in a large group, we'll be fine."

"I've got to use the ladies room before we order." Booth stood up, and pulled her chair out. After she'd gone, he sat back down.

Max looked at Booth, "What the hell is wrong with you Booth?" giving his the old stink eye.

"What?" he looked at Max.

"Your just going to let her go? Just like that?" he accused him.

"She's a big girl Max."

"So!"

"What the hell am I supposed to do? She wants to go, didn't you hear her?" Booth looked at him.

"What is wrong with you, Booth, are you sure your not gay?" causing Russ to smirk.

"I'm not gay Max." Booth gave him an annoyed stare, and gave Russ a glare.

"Bones doesn't do anything she doesn't want to do. Do you really think that I can make her stay?"

"Have you tried?" he looked down the table, "Have you asked her?"

"He's right Dad. Tempe doesn't like being told what to do." he sighed, "Trust me, I know."

Max ignored his son, "What, is she not good enough for you, being the daughter of a criminal?"

"You know better Max." Booth's voice was angry, causing Max to smirk. "We're just partners, that's it, nothing more."

"You both keep saying that." Max looked at him. "She's alot like her mother, strong smart, beautiful." he gave a little sigh, "stubborn."

Booth was silent. "The only thing worse than losing the woman you love, is to have never known her at all."

"I've known her for six years, Max." Booth corrected him.

"That's not what I meant, and you know it Booth." an uncomfortable moment of silence stretched between them.

"Tempe." Russ said a little too loud. "your back."

Brennan looked at Booth, and then Max, "I'm back, is something wrong?" she definately was picking up on something between them.

"Everything is fine, Honey, you ready to order." Max gave her a smile.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:01 pm

"Booth?" she looked over at him, laying her fork down.

"Hmmmmmm?" he answered her, looking up from his plate.

"You haven't said much", a pause, "about the dig?"

"Look Bones, this is your last night in town, let's just enjoy it, okay?" he looked at his watch, "the other's will be here soon."

To celebrate her last night in town, she and Booth were having dinner at the Founding Father's and meeting up with the other's for drinks.

"You don't look like your enjoying anything." watching him stab his steak.

"Do you want me to say I'm happy for you?" he looked up at her. When she didn't answer him, "I'm happy for you Bones."

"You don't sound happy for me." she was looking at him.

He laid his fork down, and looked up into her eyes, "Bones, I'm happy for you, I really am." he paused, "I'm just going to miss you, that's all." he reached across the table, and picked up her hand. "I'm going to miss all of this." he voice was soft, his gaze tender as he looked into her eyes. She forgot what ever she was going to say, caught up in a moment. A minute turned into two, and then three. His thumb stroked across her hand, the world around them disappearing.

"How we doing over here, would you care from dessert?" asked a vivacious waitress, with a big smile.

He dropped her hand, and cleared his throat, "Bones you want dessert?" his voice sounded very deep.

"No, no thank you."

"Just bring us the check, please." and the waitress disappeared.

"When does your plane leave?" he asked her.

"6 am."

"I'll be at your place at 4.30 to pick you up."

"You don't have to, Booth. I can take a cab."

"I know I don't have to. And your not taking a cab." he said quietly.

She nodded her head, "Thank you."

"Of course, Bones, I always want to be there for you." he looked into her eyes, again, hers looking a little teary. "you want to go sit at the bar? The other's should be here soon."

He stood up, and walked to her side of the table, giving her his arm. She grasped his arm, but instead slid her hand down to his, and held his hand. She stood up, and both of them looked down at their joined hands. His hand tightened around hers, "Angela and Hodgins just walked in."

She gave him a sad smile, "Let's go say hi." but didn't let go of his hand.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:48 pm

They'd spent the rest of evening with their friends. Angela volenteered Hodgins to pay, to which he gladly accepted with a grin. Max and Russ were even there. Round after round of drinks, they each gave a toast in honor of the occasion.

Angela held up her drink, "To Bren, making history." she threw back her drink, and smiled sadly at Brennan, "I'm going to miss you." she sniffled throwing her arms around Brennan. "Three months is a long time."

"I'm going to miss you, too." Brennan hugged her back. "I'll have my laptop, and a satelite feed, we'll talk, everyday if we want."

"You sure you don't want us to take you?" Angela asked. She had volenteered to drive Brennan to the airport.

"Booth is taking me."

"Aaahh, of course he is." she smiled, "Booth looks kinda sad." Angela commented, "don't you think?" They both looked over at Booth. He was leaning against the bar, nursing a beer.

"He's going to miss you, you know."

"I'm going to miss him." she answered back.

"Did you tell him that?" they watched Booth order another beer.

"He knows." Booth looked her direction, their eyes making contact, "He knows." she broke eye contact and turned back to Angela.

"You two..." Angela shook her head sadly.

"What?"

"Nothing, how about another drink?"

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:48 am

He came to a stop. He reached up, and put his vehicle into park, turned the ignition and pulled his keys.

When he made no move to get out, she looked over at him. It had been an unusually quiet ride over. "Booth?"

"Listen Bones, I want you to be careful."

"I will." she looked over at him, "I promise."

He looked at his watch, "Guess we should go in, wouldn't want you to be late for your flight." he looked up, seeing a plane take off, and disappear into the horizon.

"I'm sorry I didn't discuss this decision with you, Booth."

"You don't owe me any explainations Bones. I would never want to stand in the way of something you love so much."

"I love working with the FBI, and having you as my partner, too." she looked at him, "you know this isn't about us, right?"

He nodded his head, "Your going to go and make history, Bones. Your going to get your name in some famous anthropological journal, and become even more famous." he smiled a sad smile at her, "I'm proud of what you do, Bones."

He released his seat belt, and reached across the seat picking up her hand, "I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you." she looked him, her eyes were big and watery, "I promise I'll call every chance I get."

"Good." he said looking at her, a fat tear rolled down her cheek and splashed on their joined hands.

"Come here, Bones," he pulled her into a tight embrace, "It'll be okay, three months isn't so long." he whispered into her ear.

"I know." she whispered, still clinging to him. It felt so good to hold him in her arms.

He could feel her shaking, "You okay Bones?" he felt her nod her head.

He let his arms fall, letting her pull away from him. He watched her wipe away her tears with the back of her hand. He gave her the best smile he could muster, "You ready."

She didn't say anything, but nodded her head.

He opened his door and walked around to her side, and opened her door. "It's time." he looked up into her eyes, she slid out of the seat and into his arms. He was looking deep into her eyes, resisting the impulse to lean into her. She looked up into his deep dark eyes, and lost what ever thought she had. Her breething grew slightly erratic, as she leaned toward him. He leaned down to her, ever so slightly, moving slow, as he felt his heart beating out of his chest. "Bones." he whispered, and he bent his head.

His lips brushed across hers, softly, once, twice, and again. She parted her lips slightly, as she closed her eyes. She felt him slip his tongue into her, tentatively tasteing her. She moved her lips slightly, kissing him back. He deepened the kiss, slanting his mouth across hers, again and again, only stopping, when they were out of breath. He pulled away from her, resting his forehead on hers, breething heavy, holding on to her tightly, not wanting to let her go.

The slamming of a car door, and the clearing of a throat brought them back.

"I guess its time." he said, she nodded, loving the feel of his arms around her. He gave her his hand, and walked with her into the airport.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:58 am

He watched them. He saw how his hands lingered on her. He saw how she leaned into him. He noticed their shoulders brushed, how his hand held hers. He saw how she gazed up at him. Was that regret he saw? He wasn't sure. But he was going to find out.

"Tempe." he called out. "So glad you could make it."

"Michael." he noticed she didn't move away from Booth, in fact, she moved in a little closer. He smiled at her, "Glad you can let bygones be bygones." He grinned at her.

She felt Booth's hand tighten around hers. "You remember Booth?"

"Of course, how could I forget."he looked over and aknowledged him.

"Stires." Booth looked at him void of any expression. Brennan squeezed his hand.

"I knew you wouldn't let me down." he winked at her.

"I'm not here for you Michael." she looked at him.

Michael smiled at her, "Tempe, you forget how well I know you." he looked at Booth, "I knew she couldn't resist this one, its what any anthropologist dreams about." he paused, "its what we, as anthropologists live for, right Tempe?" he looked to her. "It's what first drew me to her." he winked at Booth, "she was an excellent student, with an amazing learning curve."

"I know how amazing she is." Booth said looking down at Brennan..

"Booth, I know things have been kind of weird between us, but I want you to know, I'll take good care of her." he smiled his little boy smile, "she'll be in good hands."

"I can take care of myself, Michael." Brennan corrected him. "I am more than capable."

"I'm just trying to assure Booth." he glanced at Booth, saw his jaw tighten, "after all what are friends for."

"We are not friends Stires." Booth looked at him without blinking. "not even close."

"Don't tell me your holding a grudge, Booth." he looked at him, "I apologised to Tempe, she accepted it, its water under the bridge."

"I don't forget that easily, Stires." his voice was dead calm.

They all looked up, when they heard their flight being called.

"Well, that's us," Michael said, "where's your ticket?" he looked at Brennan.

"It's here." she waved it, and he pulled it from her hand, and glanced at it.

"Look at that, Tempe, our seats are right next to each other." Michael looked at Booth, with a smirk.

"Imagine that, Stires." Booth looked at him.

"You ready Tempe?" he looked at her expectantly.

"Go ahead, I'll meet you on board."

"Sure." he looked at Booth, "Don't be long, you don't want to miss the flight." he paused, "Booth." he walked on, with a last glance back, directed at Booth.

"Bones, I really really dislike that guy."

"I know." she smiled at him, "I guess this is it." she looked up at him, sadly.

"Three months isn't so long." he said. He was holding both of her hands, "I know you'll call, and we have email." his voice dropped a couple of octives, "you'll be safe?" he looked up at her, "don't take any unneccesary chances."

"I will." she sniffled, and lifted her head, as they called her flight again. "I guess I should go." he nodded his head. "I guess." he had a huge lump in his throat.

"Booth, I....I am going to miss you." and she threw her arms around him, holding him tight, she gave him one last squeeze, and let him go. "Ill see you soon." and took a step away. He backed up a couple of steps, watching her walk away. She reached the doors leading to her flight, and turned back one last time, and gave him a little wave, and stepped thru the doorway and she was gone.

dawn
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next